Skip to main content
Topic: Car insurance for rarely driven vehicles? (Read 1791 times) previous topic - next topic

Car insurance for rarely driven vehicles?

I've been sporadically re-adding and removing my Thunderbird from insurance as it hasn't been getting much road time. It's a hassle, but worth saving $20/mo for the couple times a year the car's getting out of the driveway.

Is there any insurance that you guys know about (specifically offered for Washington state) for collector vehicles? Even my plates today are non-expiring collector plates, so the car isn't to be driven like normal drivers. Would just like to find an insurance plan to match up so I don't need to go through the hassle of adding and removing my Thunderdbird every time I want to drive it for any reason on a specific day (and a day in advance...)

My current insurance plan is $1070 for 3 vehicles and 2 drivers, and it gets bumped to $1200 if I have the Tbird on there...no one else except us two will ever drive the four total vehicles, so it's crazy that even liability insurance continues to go up as more vehicles are added, with the same number of drivers (specifically 3 vehicles are mine).
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Re: Car insurance for rarely driven vehicles?

Reply #1
I went with Haggerty collector insurance on my car covering it for $5k.  It is around $200 a year and limited to 5k miles per year with a bunch of other rules applied.  You can list all your modifications to the car and they will be covered.

Although not a cost savings versus what you are doing, this insurance is full coverage versus just liability.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #2
I went with Haggerty collector insurance on my car covering it for $5k.  It is around $200 a year and limited to 5k miles per year with a bunch of other rules applied.  You can list all your modifications to the car and they will be covered.

Although not a cost savings versus what you are doing, this insurance is full coverage versus just liability.

Great - looking into them. $222/year in my case for a quick quote.  Agree that it's a benefit for more than basic liability at the same price.

Not sure where they get their value estimates from though. Humorous. Even the pristine TC being sold locally by a dealer is listed at $10k!

#1 Concours $13,400
#2 Excellent $9,200
#3 Good $4,500
#4 Fair $1,600
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #3
You can name your price on what you want to insure it for and they will either agree or not.  Only thing that will happen is the premium price will change accordingly.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #4
Have mine with Grundy. Cost is $265 for $20K agreed value full coverage in Chicago. There are usage restrictions (no driving the car to work, pick up groceries,  I.E. daily driver stuff) but no mileage restrictions. Also have a few $K in spare parts coverage included. $0 deductible for all damage (comp & collision) and glass replacement. Had to make a claim for a windshield issue (chip repair on a 32 year old Carlite windshield) and it was no hassle.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Have mine with Grundy. Cost is $265 for $20K agreed value full coverage in Chicago. There are usage restrictions (no driving the car to work, pick up groceries,  I.E. daily driver stuff) but no mileage restrictions. Also have a few $K in spare parts coverage included. $0 deductible for all damage (comp & collision) and glass replacement. Had to make a claim for a windshield issue (chip repair on a 32 year old Carlite windshield) and it was no hassle.

Thanks for that  - $177/year quick quote for double the vehicle value coverage of Haggerty. I haven't compared either one's agreements or ratings, but great to have a second option to review.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #6
Just went with Hagerty a couple weeks ago for the 1988 Cougar, insured in Delaware. Limited to shows, occasional recreational use, etc. Similar situation as you, the car sits around for weeks at a time and got tired of making insurance changes every time I wanted to take it for a spin (legally  :giggle: ).

Went with $3500 value (minimum allowed) and $500 deductible (maximum allowed). Paying approximately $8 per month. I do have another car insured with them, which might affect the rate.

If you go with Hagerty, they automatically enroll you in their "Hagerty Driver's Club" which has some perks, which I think most people don't really need. Don't forget to cancel that if you do go with Hagerty ($45/year).
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #7
If you go with Hagerty, they automatically enroll you in their "Hagerty Driver's Club" which has some perks, which I think most people don't really need. Don't forget to cancel that if you do go with Hagerty ($45/year).

Oh! This is where my quote was increased. Much lower by opting out of the driver's club.

$11/mo here for the minimum options I can see. Will play with their quote calculator a bit more, but Hagerty has gotten cheap now that the addon was removed.

Edit: Played with their numbers - I think I have what I need!
1988 Thunderbird Sport