Skip to main content
Topic: hot to take out engine harness (Read 1736 times) previous topic - next topic

hot to take out engine harness

Hi guys 
i was wondering if you could give me some tips on removing an engine harness from a 1988 5.0 cougar
i will need to take the dash off im pretty sure but i dont know the strategical bolts to remove. do i have to drop the column?
then snake out the computer connector out the firewall.
also, can i access the hego connectors from up top in the engine bay or i have to go under the car, im asking because its all muddy at the yard. any input will be greatly appreciated

seb

Reply #1
No need to pull the dash, computer and harness can be unbolted from the passenger side kick panel easily enough, then the grommet pushes out into the engine bay.
I've done both on hego's, from the top is probably easiest.

Chris
87 Thunderbird 5.0
Engine: 97 p-code explorer block, heads, and intake; 88 HO cam, 1.7 RR's, A9P, Kenne Bell 2.1 Flow/Blow 8psi, 42lb injectors, LMAF, 75mm TB, Tuned by Don Lasota
Trans: 02 Stang 4r70w with Baumann TCS
Suspension: Front: 03-04 cobra springs and struts, TC rack. Rear: CHE arms, ChuckW shock mounts, Bullitt springs and shocks
5 bolt with 95 mustang front and mark vii rear.
TC 3.73 L/S rear
03-04 SVT Cobra 17x9's with 275/40r17's.

Reply #2
Pull the passenger side kick panel. Remove the computer undo the dash to engine harness connection and snake it out of the fire wall

Reply #3
From what i ve seen the computer is almost at the same height of the side of the dash so even when the kick panel is removed i wasnt able to clearly see  from where the comp is bolted. is it some sort of bracket like a battery hold down?  is it that easy to take off the comp connector out of the firewall  , i feel like its goin to jam  and get stuck on the dash brackets or the ventilation box for the heater. Also, is thereany need to unbolt the H.O intake plenum to unhook the injector connectors under it or there is enough room?

thanks alot Chris i guess its gonna be alot easier  the second time than the first

Seb

Reply #4
Blackjack, do i gain access to these dash bolts from the glove box right?  its the bolts that hold the metal frames of the dash to the firewall i suppose?

Reply #5
There's a small plastic bracket that holds the EEC down, I think it's a 7mm screw..

The harness is just connectors to the engine bay, the biggest headache is the integrated headlight wiring...I broke off one of the ring terminals swapping out harnesses on my Mustang a few weeks ago. Nothing major, just little piddly, time-wastin' stuff.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
The computer is more of an unbolt by feel then actually being able to look at it, lol. Its not that hard really. Once you've got the harness unplugged from the computer and the other one or two plugs under the dash, its best to have two people to get it through the firewall, one in the car and one out. You can do it yourself, just have to keep going back and forth to unsnag it.

As for the injector connectors, its by far easier to remove the upper intake. It can probably be done with it in place, but the danger of breaking plugs wouldn't be worth it. Removing the upper intake isn't bad, and just requires new gaskets on reinstall.

Chris
87 Thunderbird 5.0
Engine: 97 p-code explorer block, heads, and intake; 88 HO cam, 1.7 RR's, A9P, Kenne Bell 2.1 Flow/Blow 8psi, 42lb injectors, LMAF, 75mm TB, Tuned by Don Lasota
Trans: 02 Stang 4r70w with Baumann TCS
Suspension: Front: 03-04 cobra springs and struts, TC rack. Rear: CHE arms, ChuckW shock mounts, Bullitt springs and shocks
5 bolt with 95 mustang front and mark vii rear.
TC 3.73 L/S rear
03-04 SVT Cobra 17x9's with 275/40r17's.

Reply #7
After you take the little plastic L-ish shaped bracket down and out you should be able to wiggle the ecu out its kindof a pita, but easy to do. You migt have a little access through the glove box but with the bulk of the heater box right there chances are very slim