Skip to main content
Topic: havnt been on here in a while lol (Read 1702 times) previous topic - next topic

havnt been on here in a while lol

I posted a thread on here while back but I've lost. I need to know what else will I need to swap 4cyl tur car to v8 swap these I what I have
Complete 88 ford Thunderbird v8sport I've had this car for 13 years was daily driver but due to bent frame and chassis damage I'm stripping this car to and putting n 88 turbo coupe.
I know there is some differences between trans. Need to know about  mating the v8 to the 5pd n my turbo car. I know that the gearing n turbo trans isn't good for v8 especially with 373 gear but have parts so y not use. Any info helpful.. really don't know about pilot bearing.

Reply #1
I'd suggest finding a fox Mustang V8 T5/clutch/flywheel instead of using the turbo coupe T5.  The torque rating and gearing would likely suit you better and the transmission would last longer.... :)

Reply #2
K thanks just need to sell all my trans and clutch assembly and flywheel so I can get the other parts
I need what's a reasonable price for my stuff and what am I looking at price wise on v8 trans I do have auto n my other car good trans just don't want auto n my turbo coupe

Reply #3
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Sport engine/trans at all. The stock Sport V8 is only 155 horses, and would take quite a bit of work (heads, cam, intake, injectors, ECU, headers) just to bring it up to bog-stock HO (Mustang) spec. That's a lot of work to end up with something that's still really, really slow. Unless the 4-cyl in your TC is no good, it'll actually be a downgrade.

A V8 swap into a TC is a lot of work. To swap that V8 into your Turbo Coupe you can still use your TC's 5-speed, and it'll be just fine at stock 5.0 (and even 5.0 HO) power levels unless you beat the hell out of it. You'll need a V8 bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, a pilot bearing from a Ford Probe, a Mustang or pre-87 TC pedal assembly, clutch cable (ideally, an adjustable one), plus the V8 car's harness, ECU, fuel lines, exhaust, engine mounts, etc.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
And to add to what Thunder Chicken posted...I'd not even bother with an HO engine. Grab yourself an Explorer 5.0, and you'll already have the heads and intake that are better than HO stuff. You'll still needs the front stuff, pullies, alternator, and brackets, and I could probably help with that...I'm stumbling around over the stuff as it is.

Throw in a distributor, an HO or an alphabet cam, and you're already at more power than a stock HO, more than enough to trash ANY stock T5 if you do 1500 RPM clutch drops and shiznit.

If you're gonna beat on your car like it's a cheating girlfriend, you' better start your build with a purpose built T5. Hell, stock HO engines are more than capable of tearing up a T5, let alone in a heavier car, with more gear, and likely larger, stickier tires.

PS, I've got a 2.3 T5 in my Mustang, with a swapped in 3.55 rear...1st gear is more useless than ice cubes in hell. You'll want that V8 version, though if all you is the 2.3 unit, it will work.

There's parts you can buy to strengthen them, and if you can walk and chew gum, they're somewhat easy to work on. Patience and good tools are your friends. I'm not patient, but i have spent some time with my hands in manual transmissions, from T-176's in Jeeps, up to T5's and the M5 1/2 ton truck trans. Go slow, keep stuff clean, and make sure you have a printout of torque specs...I keep a torque spec chart in my toolbox in a notebook. Invaluable. I use it for everything from spark plugs to crank mains.

Although obviously a little less for bottom end work. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Thanks I have everything to swap with except some of trans parts right down to headers duels and flows I know that my engine isn't a HO but this is not a race car and I know its not the power of turbo but I do know that the 5.0 is better engine as far as durability and I most of parts I might do performance upgrades down road my turbo car runs alright actually quicker than my sport but I have lots of new parts in my sport engine so it ain't like Im going to spend arm and leg to do swap just researching now ain't doing anything just yet