Skip to main content
Topic: 4.9 inline 6 swap (Read 4030 times) previous topic - next topic

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #15
most of it will just be getting the 300 to fit in there. If it were me, I would get a carbed f150 i-6 with a junk motor or tranny to line everything up and see if the tranny could work. I would also use motor plates to not have to deal with motor mounts. I firmly belive that the 300 will fit in with minimum modifications.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #16
well, we will find out once i have done my research and know what has to be down. then the fun part comes on getting it to work and making everything fit
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #17
I'll be watching, as I'm considering a 300 6 swap into something as well. :)  I have a spare efi engine out back and a carbed one in my bronco, so if you need measurements or anything let me know.  The bell mating surface stayed in the same spot for both the v8 and 300, for starts.
1987 TC

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #18
I know for sure a 300 will fit in a Fox Mustang, because I knew somebody with a '79 Mustang with a 300/C4 combo in it. The car was a shiznitbox, originally a 200 i6 (leading me to believe that the I6 crossmember would be necessary), and the engine was hacked in, but it was in there. The hood closed over it fine too, but he had a Capri hood on the Mustang (and the hood was about 4" too long, so it hung out over the grille - like I said, a shiznitbox)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #19
I don't know exactly how the I-6 K-members are set up, but the oil pump is almost dead center of the engine(front to rear), if I remember correctly.

The fact that it doesn't use a crossflow cylinder head really limits performance also....a years ago, somebody was making an aluminum crossflow head, but it had NO coolant passages.

I remember coming across a (volvo?) cylinder head swap for the 200 or 250 that really makes a huge difference with minimal effort.  I think the 200/250 swap would be much more feasible...but I guess where's the challenge in that?
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #20
You guys should consider the Australian 4.0L I6.  Engine Distributors Incorporated in New Jersey imports the NA version for the industrial market.