Skip to main content
Topic: 4.9 inline 6 swap (Read 4064 times) previous topic - next topic

4.9 inline 6 swap

has anybody thought of this idea?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #1
Nope. Your the first.

It's actually been talked bout it quite a bit, with the general consensus that you need a different k member, and unless you plan on going with forced induction, it's not really worth the trouble.

'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #2
See thread just below yours...

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #3
The 200/250 swap shares nothing with the 300 swap...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #4
I hear the 300 six is much to large, more than likely I heard that from Chuck W :D

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #5
Quote from: Chuck W;284906
The 200/250 swap shares nothing with the 300 swap...

I know, I was referring to the topic of the thread just below this one...

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #6
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;284917
I know, I was referring to the topic of the thread just below this one...

Sorry, that was in reference to all the references regarding the SB I6 swap.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #7
Hang the 300 on an engine stand, and you quickly realize how heavy it is.  Overall size is comparable to a bigger V8.  I swapped one into my Bronco, and it filled every bit of the engine bay like the 400 did.  The fan located about the same spot, maybe a little closer.  IIRC, 35.63" overall.  I'm still waiting for Chuck to do the Aussie swap. :D
1987 TC

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #8
The Ausie swap would be cool. I've always thought it might be cool to do a 2.9 Volvo I6 Twin Turbo swap. The engine was developed in conjunction with Ford, so it's not too sacrilegious, and it should make for a nice, powerful, modern engine.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #9
I only posted the links to show that it wasn't just a drop in, wire it up and drive it kinda swap. Sorry to step on any toes.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #10
does anyone know if they make high performance parts for the 4.9? im just thinking if a inline 6 3.0 liter supra motor could make 1300hp, i was just wondering how much horsepower could a 4.9 would make after being stroker and bored with twin turbos. it would be totally original and different
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #11
The 300 I6 head sucks totally... It's fine for what it was designed and that was lugging around at less than 4000 rpms... Possibly they could be ported with reasonable results, but you'd have to do the research on that... Clifford Research has produced 4bbl intakes for them...

Some hard core racers have used sectioned 351 Cleavland heads, but you'd never stop one from leaking coolant... AFIK they ran them dry...

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #12
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

http://www.classicinlines.com/

http://www.fordsix.com
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #13
Do a search on the frenchtown flyer.  Greg  has drag raced these engines for years.  I have recipes to make them perform well, but for my purposes, I kept mine relatively stock......for now.
1987 TC

4.9 inline 6 swap

Reply #14
ok thank guys for pointing me in the right direction i'll go do some research