Skip to main content
Topic: Clunk/bind in steering wheel (Read 976 times) previous topic - next topic

Clunk/bind in steering wheel

I have a spot on the steering wheel the binds till you put a little force into her then you feel a clunk. I checked it out and it seems to be comming from the shaft that links the steering column to the steering rack. Ford does not have new ones and the junk yard has no 87-88 tbirds in there. What can I do to fix this? It seems to be the small u joint in that shaft.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #1
I'd see about getting the part # for it and see what's compatible.  Most likely something from another vehicle has the same part number.  Sometimes Ford makes revisions to parts and puts a different part # on it and it will fit just like the old one did.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
Well I found a 88 thunderbird LX in the wreckers today so I stole the sector shaft ( i think thats what is called). I will put it on tuesday and if it is still there,Well I already have the steering column half out on the wrecked car.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #3
I think the selectors shaft is the one for the tranny. As for that u joint part if you could get me some mesurements I would look it up in the joint book at work to see if anythin will work. Also I'll double check to see if we offer that part in some other way.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #4
Autozone's repair guide calls it a Steering Column Lower Shaft Assembly
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!