Skip to main content
Topic: Digital gauge cluster refresher needed (Read 1077 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital gauge cluster refresher needed

Hello all, it's been a heck of a long time. It's been 20+ years since I was here last. Nothing like coming home. Lol used to have tons of fox body cougars and t-birds and one mn-12 cougar. I original used to play around with putting the fox full digits clusters in my cars till I found that beautiful one in the 89 on up cars. It fit in everything and was so easy to mod the wiring once you had a few core signals and swapped a few sensors out.

I put them in every ford I had back then. Fox body cougars and thirds. My fox stangs, my grandmothers crown Vic, and even my ranger. Did write ups on all tgr pages back then on how to do it all.

Flash forwards to now and I find myself in a 90 cougar with an buttstuffog cluster, just screaming to be swapped out for a wifi cluster. The basic swap is easy enough. Find a car in the junk yard and snitch the cluster with buttons, oil, temp, and fuel senders. Repin the cluster and add a pin to #34 on the ecm for the fuel flow and add the resistor in the alt wire. And wha-la working cluster.

But I know that stock, the cluster tops out at 99 mph. But I know there is a way to make it read over 100, just like the fox ones were able to be nodded to do.  I can't remember how anymore. I'm pretty sure it was just jumping a resistor like you had to do with the fox style ones. But which one is it? Anyone remember?

The next question is for my next vehicle to get this cluster modded into it. My 93 full sized bronco. I can swap out the senders for the digital cluster from the doner car just like all the others. Well I have to get a fuel sender from a Lincoln with a digits cluster because of the differences in tank Configuration. But the one oddball I might have a time with is the fuel flow signal . that's the one that is used by the right hand tripminder section of the cluster to calculate fuel economy. It counts the injector pulse per minute to get the pulse/gallons per hour.

It is on most ford cars on pin 34 of the ecm, 31 for minivans. I'm hoping that its like most cars and not listed. And ill just plug in a wire and be in business. But just in case, I was wondering what sensor the ecm used to monitor the pulse per minute count on the injectors? That way I might be able to add it into the bronco and get everything working again.

I know that was long winded. Sorry. But I appreciate any info anyone still might have.
I love it when a plan comes together!!!-Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Re: Digital gauge cluster refresher needed

Reply #1
Oh and if anyone has the pin outs fir the cluster wiring clip I could really use it. I can't seem to find it online anywhere. My google-fu is letting me down.

Reply #2
From the '93 Mark VIII Shop manual:
"The PCM calculates a fuel flow value by keeping track of the number and duration of fuel injector pulses.
The PCM outputs this fuel flow value to pin 34, and the Message Center computer uses it to calculate fuel economy and distance-to-empty display for the driver."

There is no external to the PCM, ECU, EEC injector pulse sensor.
In carburetor cars with Trip Minder there was a fuel flow sensor in the fuel line.

What year cluster pin-out are you looking for?
I have 83 thru 88 Tbird/Cougar EVTMs and 93 & 94 shop manuals.

Reply #3
I was looking for an 89 to 94 era pin out. They're the easiest to work with from my memory. Plus they're the right size and shape to fit into almost any car.

Reply #4
93 Cougar instrument cluster pin-outs:

Reply #5
More 93 Cougar cluster pin-outs:

Reply #6
Thank you so much! That will give me a good head start creating the wire swap diagram. So I can shuffle the wires around when I get ahold of a digital gauge cluster.