Skip to main content
Topic: 1.72 Roller Rockers (Read 2159 times) previous topic - next topic

1.72 Roller Rockers

I don't mean to keep posting stupid topics and I didn't want to post another one, but I can't get a consensus on this.

I'm installing Trick Flow 170s, and I bought a set of brand new Ford Racing 1.6 roller rockers. Unfortuneately, I was sent the 1.72 ratio rockers instead. Will this be alright on my stock cam without clearance issues? I don't want to open the box which is why I ask just in case they won't work. But if I got more lift and power, then great! Eventually, I would like to get a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam as well. Of course I'll check PTV when that time comes (a few years), but I would like to know now if they'd work so I don't have to buy another set in the future. These Ford Racing rockers are hard to find new, and I'd prefer these over others.
1986 Thunderbird original 5.0, butterfly window car. Two-tone Medium Grey and Silver Metallic Clearcoat paint with red pin-striping. A couple mods so far...with lots to come.

Re: 1.72 Roller Rockers

Reply #1
I don't mean to keep posting stupid topics and I didn't want to post another one, but I can't get a consensus on this.

I'm installing Trick Flow 170s, and I bought a set of brand new Ford Racing 1.6 roller rockers. Unfortuneately, I was sent the 1.72 ratio rockers instead. Will this be alright on my stock cam without clearance issues? I don't want to open the box which is why I ask just in case they won't work. But if I got more lift and power, then great! Eventually, I would like to get a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam as well. Of course I'll check PTV when that time comes (a few years), but I would like to know now if they'd work so I don't have to buy another set in the future. These Ford Racing rockers are hard to find new, and I'd prefer these over others.

I don't see why it wouldn't work? Twisted Wedges add a lot of clearance

I had my TW 170's milled down to 54cc chambers, '89 HO cam, 1.7 rockers - with solid lifter test, around 3/8-1/2 an inch of clearance on clay test. I'm running Mustang stock-type replacement forged pistons (TRW .030 over, dished with stock-size valve cuts). My block was 0-decked on the rebuild.

The rocker arms will push the valves open more when the piston is quite far down in the hole. A different cam valve timing would be needed to come close to interference.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #2
Those 1.72 rockers will be great with your cam. Install them and enjoy the car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
You mention your “stock cam”?? If you’re referring to a stock HO cam you should be good.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #4
The stock cam I am referring to is the stock Standard Output cam, not from a Mustang or HO motor. I'm assuming since you guys are saying it works for an HO that it will work with an SO cam? I'm not sure if the cam timing difference between the SO and HO cams has any part in making the 1.7 roller rockers work for the HO cam but not the SO cam, so I'm curious.
1986 Thunderbird original 5.0, butterfly window car. Two-tone Medium Grey and Silver Metallic Clearcoat paint with red pin-striping. A couple mods so far...with lots to come.

Reply #5
If you’re installing TF heads go ahead and change the cam. You can find a used H.O. cam at a decent price . Then you will need 19lb injectors of course . Have you checked out the Cool Cats site? There’s an entire right up on there on H.O. conversion.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #6
Yes, I've looked at the Cool Cats website. I want a cam, yes, but I just don't have the money now for that, the injectors, the computer etc. I just want to fricken drive my car! So I'm going to do the mods I have now for a while, and I think next year I'm going to do a new rear end, control arms, valve body etc. to make it handle and shift better.

Reply #7
watch this i did and maybe it will cause you to come up with more information.  besides,, you can do this check on your rockers in advance,, assuming your lifters are pumped up.
i suggest you do this check with a couple modified lifters making them solid so you dont have the lifter giving in during your check.

https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php?topic=41337.0