Skip to main content
Topic: "Ls" swapping my 1984 Thunderbird élan (Read 3701 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Ls" swapping my 1984 Thunderbird élan

Reply #15
As far as I know they are a 60 lph pump so around 15.85 gph…not near enough for any kind of hp.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #16
My God, I'm just going to drop the tank and delete the in tank pump and run my cheapo pump or a Carter on the frame rail.

Reply #17
So let me back up here.  I did not realize that you are dealing with an '84 car here so you have what I had in my '83 which is a low pressure in tank pump and an external inline high pressure booster pump if it is still factory (should have paid more attention to your first couple of posts).  If I remember correctly the intank pump is good for somewherw around 30 gph or 115 lph so yeah your motor is starving to death.  You can remove the intake pickup and try and make a pickup for a carb style externally mounted pump but they do not like to draw fuel from a tank rather they like it to flow to the inlet side of the tank i.e. a sump in the bottom of the tank.  I am pretty sure you know all that already though.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #18
  On that K frame. Does the Mustang one just not fit right ? Is that the reason for the spacers ?  Im about to start this swap in an 84 as well. Picked up a DI LS 5.3... Figured I would just order an AJE K frame to start with..   Love your car.. Here's my start. Very clean little car..

Reply #19
The fox body tbird and mustang are very similar, but still difderent cars.

The mustang is just ever so slightly different. Firewall forwards they are basically the same car. Most nothing is really designed to work with our cars because every thing from a mustang is close enough.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #20
The tbird is basically a distorted mustang underneath. You will have to space the rear part because the mounting points are ever so slightly different. I know a guy that's doing a boosted di 5.3 power glide 88 tbird on the FB groups. He has a YouTube I believe too.