Skip to main content
Topic: Back in a fox. 1988 Turbo Coupe. The life journal. (Read 30592 times) previous topic - next topic

Back in a fox. 1988 Turbo Coupe. The life journal.

Reply #15
Quote from: Haystack;462600
He is. You've missed some things.

This made me laugh more than it should have.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #16
Nice Shawn! Need more pix....

...of the girlfriend. :evilgrin:

Reply #17
Since the weather has been , and I've been pretty sick these past few days, nothing car related has happened. Todays post will be about the house and garage.

So roughly a year ago, Katy and I purchased our first house. We looked at probably 15 houses and had it down to two house. This house, and one in a town called Esshag. For those who know Maryland, it's well known that Esshag and the surrounding few towns are a bit white trashy. That didn't bother me too much. The house in Esshag was pretty nice but needed some work. The selling point was a 20x50 RV garage that was as tall as the house and had electric and water ran to it. The house also had a two car garage on the side of the house. The commute was going to be rough, and the amount of stuff the house was going to need put everything over budget. The biggest deal breaker was the heroin addict next door who had no boundaries. He was high out of his mind, and came over to water the roses in front of the house while we were doing the home inspection. Nope. Not happening.

So, we bought a house in a town called Pasadena. For those who know Maryland, it's well known that Pasadena and the surrounding few towns are a bit white trashy. Notice the trend? This house doesn't have the garage space the Esshag house did, nor does it have the amount of property, but the house is much nicer inside and out.

I forgot the square footage, but the house is deceiving. It's a split foyer and has vaulted ceilings upstairs. With the open floor plan, you walk in and the house looks huge. One of my buddies walked in and stood by the door saying "Holy shag this house is huge." I gave him the tour, which took about 4 minutes, and he seemed a little disappointed. The bottom floor is half garage and utilities, but has a good sized living space and bathroom. It's where we spend the most of our time. Upstairs has three bedrooms and two more full bathrooms.

This is the part that matters most. Unfortunately, the garage isn't as big as I would like, but it works. It's 18x24, so the width is fine, but the depth sucks. The Trans Am fits with enough room to shimmy by the front and rear. I have it on jack stands and the transmission half way out, so obviously there is enough room to work, but it's cramped. The stainless toolbox is the one that I sold to a co-worker. The cart next to it and the other tool box you can't really see are also going to get sold once I pick up some other boxes. I intend on taking down the wire rack shelves and putting up legit cabinets and getting a few taller roll cabinets.

My entire goal is to have everything in the garage to be on wheels. I want the tool boxes, compressor, cabinets, carts, and everything else to be on wheels so I can roll them out into the driveway if I need to. Because the garage is so shallow, I will likely have to get wheel dollies so I can turn the car sideways to do any real work to it. The Trans Am fits but the TC is a bit longer. I'm hoping that I can get it in the garage, and then turn it sideways. The pole will be a problem too.

I eventually want to do a RaceDeck floor and paint the garage some ignorant color. That may be the task for next summer.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #18
Quote from: EricCoolCats;462610
Nice Shawn! Need more pix....

...of the girlfriend. :evilgrin:

Those cost money. I'll gladly provide you her PayPal account :shakeass:
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #19
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;462599
All these years on here, I thought you were a guy?
I am. You may have missed this post:
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?39901-So-lets-catch-up&p=457742#post457742

Nice house, Shawn. Around here we call that style a "Split Entry", and it is one of my favourite house styles because the basp00get is so usable. Most basp00gets (including my current one) have tiny windows and you feel like you're in a basp00get, but with split entries you've got nice big windows. When we build our retirement home it's going to be that style
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #20
Ya I've been updated lol.  Congrats on the marriage Carmen. 17 years?  What took you so long? Lol.

Shawn.  Nice garage man. And house lol

Reply #21
It's like all the crazy uncles came to the same family reunion. You inspire me Shawn, I have followed a similar path except I kept my rusty and blowed up TC and dragged that boat anchor house to house a few times now ;)

Some day soon it will move under its own power again.

Reply #22
If you didn't have so much money into rc cars, there would be a ton left over for the turbo coupe.

I fly model airplanes, everytime i go to a hobby shop my jaw drops at how expensive much inferior parts for a rc car go for.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #23
Quote from: Haystack;462623
If you didn't have so much money into rc cars, there would be a ton left over for the turbo coupe.

I fly model airplanes, everytime i go to a hobby shop my jaw drops at how expensive much inferior parts for a rc car go for.

You sir, are not wrong. If you look closely, at the very left of the picture, you can see 5 cars on the wall, just out of the shot is another 5 more. I also have more in the house. Most of the stuff I have is old from when I raced in the early 2000's and a few "newer" ones from probably 2010ish or so. I fade in and out of the hobby.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #24
I've probably spent $2k on airplanes in the last 7 years or so. I'm not really an airplane guy, but i am the 3rd generation. When I first seperate from my ex, i found it to be a fun and calming way to be by myself and distract from all I had going on. Overspent on a few planes i only flew once or twice, and way too much on spectrum radio junk.

The mechanics at my old work spent $800 on a 3 channel spectrum setup.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #25
Let's see picks of the whole fleet.  :D

Raced RC cars back in the late 80's-early 90's. Besides my local track, I regular drove 3+ hours every week race with my brother-in-law at his local track too. Ended up winning that track championship the last year I competed there. The locals weren't happy that I wasn't a "native". :evilgrin:
When I started, it was fun, but I got out of it because it seemed that your week old parts were outdated. It just got too expensive to stay competitive and that just sucked the fun factor out of it. I still have my original Tamiya Frog and Associated RC-10 (gold pan) though.

My license plate circa 1990 (trunk lid needs some adjustment). :mullet:

X
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #26
Hey! This is awesome to hear, great news with the car, the house and everything. Us Maryland guys should get together again sometime, it's been way too long.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #27
Katy is not amused by Shawn's new purchase. She looks like she's gonna make you sleep on the couch.  :)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #28
Welcome back ;)

Great news on the car, house, etc.

I hear you on having garage space, but not really having garage space. The place we bought back in Dec has a 2-car garage (vs the 1-car at the old house), and much more room to park cars, without having to move one or two to get anything else out of the drive. However, with the TBird and the 240 in the garage, there is little room to REALLY get much work done. Gotta do more shuffling to get a secondary storage spot so I have a usable workshop.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #29
Quote from: BCA;462663
Let's see picks of the whole fleet.  :D

Raced RC cars back in the late 80's-early 90's. Besides my local track, I regular drove 3+ hours every week race with my brother-in-law at his local track too. Ended up winning that track championship the last year I competed there. The locals weren't happy that I wasn't a "native". :evilgrin:
When I started, it was fun, but I got out of it because it seemed that your week old parts were outdated. It just got too expensive to stay competitive and that just sucked the fun factor out of it. I still have my original Tamiya Frog and Associated RC-10 (gold pan) though.

My license plate circa 1990 (trunk lid needs some adjustment). :mullet:

X

I have to gather the fleet up into one spot. I have stuff everywhere. I have a few 1/27 scale cars sitting on the window sill, and then cars all over the garage. I counted all of my cars, and it was way too many...

I would LOVE a gold pan though. I don't want one bad enough to buy one though.

Quote from: 4thqtr;462668
Hey! This is awesome to hear, great news with the car, the house and everything. Us Maryland guys should get together again sometime, it's been way too long.

Good God dude. Why the hell did you move to the other side of the bay?

You are right, it's been way too long.

Quote from: V8Demon;462704
Katy is not amused by Shawn's new purchase. She looks like she's gonna make you sleep on the couch.  :)

Ironically enough, she wasn't displeased with it. Believe it or not, she doesn't really care what I do as long as our bills are paid and we aren't falling behind. Well, that is, until I want to do something insanely irresponsible. Usually at that point, I can't be mad if she puts her foot down and that's seldom.

Quote from: Chuck W;462712
Welcome back ;)

Great news on the car, house, etc.

I hear you on having garage space, but not really having garage space. The place we bought back in Dec has a 2-car garage (vs the 1-car at the old house), and much more room to park cars, without having to move one or two to get anything else out of the drive. However, with the TBird and the 240 in the garage, there is little room to REALLY get much work done. Gotta do more shuffling to get a secondary storage spot so I have a usable workshop.

So when are you going to post about your great news?

My garage is really meant for car and home storage. I can fit the T/A or TC into the one side. I have enough room to have the doors open on the T/A while it's in the garage, which is a big deal, but the nose to tail space sucks. The TC will probably barely fit. On the left side, I can fit either the FRS or ST with room to spare.

I apologize for my lack of updates. While I'm not broke, my finances aren't where I want them to be so I'm being very selective on my purchases at the moment. I absolutely love the TC, but I need to make sure this doesn't spiral out of control. I know it will be a money pit, but I'm not ready for that yet.

Also, these next few months at work are going to kill my free time. I work for UPS. We call the Christmas seasons "Peak Season". While Peak officially starts Black Friday, and ends Christmas day, we have to have all of the trucks up and running at the beginning of November, and keep them up and running until the end of January. The volume ramps up in November, and doesn't slow down back to normal until February most times.

With that said, I am going to put some time into the car Saturday, and then Sunday I'm going to take it out to the MA86 Club (local FRS/BRZ club) meet. A few people know I bought it, but maybe 4 people will know what it is.
It's Gumby's fault.