Skip to main content
Topic: 95 HO into 88 V6 T-bird (Read 2222 times) previous topic - next topic

95 HO into 88 V6 T-bird

Hey guys I thought I'd start a new thread with some of the issues that I'm having with my engine swap. I have the engine in the car with all the connections hooked up. I have an engine harness from an 87 5.0 cougar trying to match to the body of an 88 V6. The connections don't match very well, and I need some input on what I need to do from here. If anyone is familiar with which wires to hookup or leave disconnected, please let me know.

95 HO into 88 V6 T-bird

Reply #1
Quote from: LastThunderfox;462601
Hey guys I thought I'd start a new thread with some of the issues that I'm having with my engine swap. I have the engine in the car with all the connections hooked up. I have an engine harness from an 87 5.0 cougar trying to match to the body of an 88 V6. The connections don't match very well, and I need some input on what I need to do from here. If anyone is familiar with which wires to hookup or leave disconnected, please let me know.
Should be color for color...

AFAIK, there is no reason to leave anything disconnected... Some things would be deleted on a Turbo Coupe...

BTW the '88 5.0 harness is plug & play for install into a '88 3.8, there are several differences in '87 to '88...

95 HO into 88 V6 T-bird

Reply #2
I'm seeing a couple connectors that need adjusted. Please correct me if I'm wrong-

1) there are the black and grey connectors by the brake booster (every one needs repinned). There are also 2 single wire connectors as well, don't know if I should ignore them (white/red and black/orange)

2) the grey rectangular connector under the coil (found that the oil and temp wires are in this one today)

3) the connector next to the ecu has matching wires apart from the body having an extra pink/black wire

I got the 87 harness because that is what I was able to find in the junkyards near me. I didn't see the differences until I started hooking things up.

95 HO into 88 V6 T-bird

Reply #3
The v-6 harness might actually be a closer match then the 87 v-8.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

95 HO into 88 V6 T-bird

Reply #4
Quote from: Haystack;462605
The v-6 harness might actually be a closer match then the 87 v-8.

C'omon, a batch fire V6 isn't going to be closer than any SEFI 5.0 harness... Well maybe the OBD-II version in my '96 F-150...

95 HO into 88 V6 T-bird

Reply #5
All right, this is what I came up with, please correct me if I'm wrong-

Oil pressure - white / red

Temperature - red/ white

Ground- black

Pin 30- brown/ White

Pin 46- black /white

Pin 17 tan

Tach- Dgreen /yellow

A/C green /purple

O2- grey/yellow

Start- red/blue

Vpwr/Run- black /yellowmolested and red/green

Vss+ Dgreen/white- needs added to harness (in grey connector )

Vss- orange /yellow -needs added to harness (in grey connector)

(The stand alone connectors seem to be left unconnected)

Pin 19 (fuel pump check)- pink/black

95 HO into 88 V6 T-bird

Reply #6
Well, I test drove it tonight. Everything seems to be working. I didn't do anything with the black /white Pin 46, I just wired it like I posted previously. I did hook up my starter neutral safety switch by connecting the two wires (red/blue, white/pink) at the transmission, then splicing my clutch pedal switch into the white /pink wire behind the climate control. So now, I'm going to try to go to the UMTR race this Sunday, and hope for low 15s