Skip to main content
Topic: SCCA Track Night... Awesome!!!! (Read 3687 times) previous topic - next topic

SCCA Track Night... Awesome!!!!

Got the old Bird out on the road course at MSR Cresson last Tues. They were running the 1.7 mile ccw direction. It was a total blast to get to finally drive this thing all out! The car handled amazing with the MM coilover suspension combined with the incredible tires I had on the car. I ran the novice class so I made sure to get in line when they called first call to grid. I was number 2 behind a 2017 Camaro SS 1le. I wish I could say I could stay with it but he was gone. That was the only car in the novice class I couldn't catch or hang with. The Porsche Cayman that was gridded behind me spun behind me on a fast left hander so i never got to really see what it could do. By the 4th lap I was starting to lap the back markers. It was great lapping a 3 series BMW, s197 5.0 and Subaru BRZ (of course  in intermediate this probably wouldn't have happened, lol).

So that's the good, now the not so good. I was told the track will reveal anything wrong or any shortcomings your car may have and boy was that true. While the engine, suspension and brakes performed flawlessly, the cooling system, not so much. By the 5th lap I was pushing 225 on the coolant and 270 in the oil so I had to back off and run some cool down laps. I think the combo of running a radiator that had had stop leak circulate through it years ago combined with running a stock clutch fan wasn't cutting it on the track. I probably need to box the sides and top of the inlet between the grill and the radiator. Anyway no harm done yet…

In the second session, same deal except I was chasing this open wheel ariel atom looking thing (edit: turns out it was an Ariel Atom!) and actually staying on him. By the time he pointed me by the coolant hit 235 and the oil was at 290. I felt my front tires starting to lose grip in the corners and backed out of it to let the engine cool. That's about the time I was black flagged so I pitted in and found out I was puking coolant which explained the loss of front grip. Tires don’t work too good when you wet em down. That was the end of my day. I had to let the car cool for a couple hours so I could drive it home. Funny thing, made it home with the car running great so I thought I may have dodged a bullet. The next day though it was running rough. Long story short, blew a head gasket overheating the engine. Probably warped a head in process and will have to have them cut again.

Bottom line… was it worth It? He’ll yeah!!!! Blown head gasket and all! Wanted to go back in Sep but I have a kids wedding to pay for. But next March it’s on. I should have a camera set up by then to get some in car video.

Here's one pic, I'll try and get more up later. This is a good one that shows how flat the car corners as this is a hard left hand turn. What impressed me is how with what little negative camber I've got, about 1.2 degrees, it seems to be good. The tires didn’t look like they were killing the shoulders at all…

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #1
Another pic...  she's pretty, lol...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
That's one good looking car, man.
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #3
Awesome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #4
wow, very nice car. Thanks for representing the Aero birds!  :D
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #5
Thanks, I was surprised at the amount of interest in the Bird. A lot of people were coming by to check it out. Quite a few people either had one way back, knew someone that did or their dad had one, lol... The car brought back a lot of nostalgia for the 80s. It really got attention when I fired it up. It sounds like a NASCAR stocker with the stupid loud exhaust I have right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Yea, I took my 83 to a show awhile back and had the exact same experience.  It's a forgotten car until people see it then they all have stories to tell!  To me your car looks as modern as the Mustang it's parked next to. IMHO it's a design that doesn't age.  The 'stupid loud exhaust'  is just what you need in case anyone happens to walk past it and not notice it.  ;) 

Good luck with your car, it's a beauty!
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #7
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing about the design holding up well parked next to the stang. Ole Jack Telnack revolutionized automotive design in the early 80's with the t-bird. Lol about the exhaust...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Sounds like an awesome time! Great job!

I was doing some thinkin about airflow management on my car as well and curious if this would be something you would be interested in.  I live down the road from http://scottrodfab.com/shop/ and he makes nice coresupport filler panels for other foxbodies http://scottrodfab.com/shop/fox-body-mustang/10-fox-four-eyed-radiator-to-bumper-cover.html
I was thinkin about driving mine over to his shop to see if he could pop one out to fit our cars. I see we have a huge gap to fill on our cars. If any interest I could see if he would pop out a couple.?

I had him make me some one off door panels for my Ranger and they are works of art.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Reply #9
I'd be interested. Looks like a nice piece on that 4 eyed stang. That would solve the issue of air escaping over the top of the core. Just have to deal with the sides after that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
Im going to go over there on fri and talk to him
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

Reply #11
i would definitely be interested in one
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #12
Im starting a new thread about the ScottRod parts. He is in.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger