Skip to main content
Topic: Test and Tune Today (Read 9884 times) previous topic - next topic

Test and Tune Today

Last shot for 2015 wasn't too bad.My son made 11 passes in 4 hours, ran a best of 16.62. Finally got some RT that might win a round or 2. New rear end is sitting on the floor, along with a shelf of parts for the 2016 season.
1988 LX, 306 with GT40P heads, Downs Upper Intake on Truck Lower, Powerdyne Supercharger and T5 swap.  Scavenger Hunt Build at it's best.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #1
What rear is coming out turbo coupe disc rear?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Test and Tune Today

Reply #2
Just a stock 7.5 open rear. 8.8 with 31 spline Moser axles, posi and 3.55 gears is going in, along with a control arm upgrade.
1988 LX, 306 with GT40P heads, Downs Upper Intake on Truck Lower, Powerdyne Supercharger and T5 swap.  Scavenger Hunt Build at it's best.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #3
Nice upgrade there
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Test and Tune Today

Reply #4
Quote from: Matt Jewell;452343
Just a stock 7.5 open rear. 8.8 with 31 spline Moser axles, posi and 3.55 gears is going in, along with a control arm upgrade.

Just did that (7.5" 3.73 Traction-Lok to a XR7 8.8" with 3.73s, 31 spline Moser axles, and 31 spline Traction-Lok with carbon fiber clutches). Very good upgrade. I'll be swapping in Maximum Motorsports control arms as well.

The rear and suspension upgrades should reduce your car's 60' time if nothing else. That will get you a quicker e.t.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #5
Still trying to get a feel where to go with this. Passed on a few deals on shortblocks and heads. I have always had nitrous on just about every car because it's cheap and you don't always have to use it. Wanted to stay EFI and AOD. 12 second driver would be fine. The last project was supposed to be 11's and ended up in the 9's.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #6
Well if I had $$$ I would do a N/A Dart based 363 with over 500hp. But that's really expensive :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #7
Cheap Turbo 302 and Lentech AOD. Focus on drivability and mileage with power to spare.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #8
Quote from: Lightningbird;452694
Cheap Turbo 302 and Lentech AOD. Focus on drivability and mileage with power to spare.

Crank the boost till the block splits. Repeat as necessary :hick:

Test and Tune Today

Reply #9
I have a new Downs upper and truck lower, BBK 75MM throttle body and EGR delete plate, Valve covers, ARP bolts, gaskets, 255 intank pump.I have seriously thought about the cheap turbo kit with a cam swap, head swap and MSD BTM.But a mass air conversion, meter, injectors or going to a programmable speed density system like a classic FAST. Other than a short stint with an Accell DFI system in 1999, i always have been a carb kind of guy. I even entertained buying a complete modified Mustang and harvesting all the parts  needed and selling off the rest. With the new 3.55 posi rear, it's ok for 300 feet and then gets pretty boring.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #10
Quote from: Matt Jewell;452924
I have a new Downs upper and truck lower, BBK 75MM throttle body and EGR delete plate, Valve covers, ARP bolts, gaskets, 255 intank pump.I have seriously thought about the cheap turbo kit with a cam swap, head swap and MSD BTM.But a mass air conversion, meter, injectors or going to a programmable speed density system like a classic FAST. Other than a short stint with an Accell DFI system in 1999, i always have been a carb kind of guy. I even entertained buying a complete modified Mustang and harvesting all the parts  needed and selling off the rest. With the new 3.55 posi rear, it's ok for 300 feet and then gets pretty boring.

20 lbs of boost would cure that other 1000 ft of boring. Make it a blow through carb setup!

Test and Tune Today

Reply #11
No need for anything fancy, just do a twin turbo setup ala toohighpsi.com

Get a regular car and a cfi fuel injector with a throttle switch.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Test and Tune Today

Reply #12
Chased a couple deals on engines/shortblocks for 2 weeks, and went in a different direction. Purchased a Powerdyne supercharger kit, 42lb injectors and Pro M meter for $1000. Missed out on Edelbrock heads and rockers for $500. Still shopping for odds and ends on Mustang sites. Won't start swapping anything out until spring.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #13
picked up  a set of gt40p heads that were worked, motorsport E cam, H pipe and A9P ECM for $530. in 1 trip this weekend. Couple more items on the shopping list.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #14
Quote from: Matt Jewell;453806
picked up  a set of gt40p heads that were worked, motorsport E cam, H pipe and A9P ECM for $530. in 1 trip this weekend. Couple more items on the shopping list.

Awesome score, should be making 350 easily on motor! 450 with 4-6lbs of boost!