Skip to main content
Topic: Carlisle 2014 (Read 5970 times) previous topic - next topic

Carlisle 2014

I got up there late and had to leave early so I didn't get to walk around nearly as much as I would have liked.  I did notice that they stuck the Cougars WAY in the back against the fence which I thought kinda sucked...

https://imgur.com/a/qZBMT#0
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |
87 TC 5-Speed -- Cone Filter | Bypassed BCS | Stock Daily Driver
66 Mustang -- Pertronix Ignition Upgrade | Slow-Mobile

Carlisle 2014

Reply #1
they stuck the Cougars WAY in the back against the fence which I thought kinda sucked...

I was over that way more than once and didn't even see them.  Saw all the Lincolns they had mixed together....
Also saw the 1987 Cougar that placed for an award on Sunday.....

I'll be nice and say this about the Carlisle judging system.......It flat out sucks.  The Cougar was the best example.  Judging for best in class turns into "I won because my friends are here with me and voted for me."  They need to have a few people walking the grounds not affiliated with any vendor or car club do the judging.  Nothing concourse level, cause that's not what the venue is about, but something that's not a popularity contest.  I can think of quite a few 87-88 Cats here that are much better examples than the.......THING that won; yes mine included.

My wife put her foot down upon seeing it.  MY WIFE.  She flat out gave me a direct order that the Cougar will be our vehicle entered at Carlisle next year.  Now I just have to secure a trailer 'cause I aint making that drive in that car with a wife AND no A/C.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Carlisle 2014

Reply #2
Quote from: V8Demon;434735
"I won because my friends are here with me and voted for me."  They need to have a few people walking the grounds not affiliated with any vendor or car club do the judging.  Nothing concourse level, cause that's not what the venue is about, but something that's not a popularity contest.

That's how all car shows that are not concourse jugged work. Every show I go to the red cars win. ALL THE TIME. Doesn't matter if there is a nicer car in a different color. Red always wins when you let people who aren't judges vote. Then again I really don't want trophies. They are just dust collectors than get thrown in the back of a closet :rollin:

Nice pictures. There was quite a few half engine Thunderbirds that turned out ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Carlisle 2014

Reply #3
Well next year is supposed to be Thunderbird and GT40 centric, which I think is a weird combo but ok lol. I was there all day on Friday but had to leave because my hotel overbooked and i couldn't get a new one that wasn't something out of Vacancy.

I've never been on the turnpike before, some of the views as you get up to the tunnels are gorgeous, especially since it was right at sunrise. but the whole no exits for 25-35 miles is annoying. I blew a rad. hose and had to go 15 miles on a rigged hose and almost no water.

Carlisle 2014

Reply #4
ive taken my car there for years and the years I don't think ill place it gets second or third then the years like this past on that I thought for sure it would do well it dosent place at all.

I like seeing pics posted from the show every year but ive always wondered y its only the pics of turbo coupes??

I know us sport/v8 cars are in a different judging class. I put mine in 1980-1988 thunderbird.

im not complaining about the person posting the pictures I like seeing them I just wish all of us were in them.

and carisle judging system is horrible. I don't think many ppl actually walked around to every class to judge. I think they need to have a board of maybe 50 ppl from the event that go around and judge our cars.

but that's my 2 cents on that. ill admit im there mainly for the swap meet theres many sections of cars ive never walked though. plus they need to get us all off that  hill and down on the flat where 85% of the ppl are actually gonna look at our cars.

Carlisle 2014

Reply #5
Quote from: 87tbird5.0;436845
I like seeing pics posted from the show every year but ive always wondered y its only the pics of turbo coupes??

I try to get photos of all of the 2.3T cars.  I honestly haven't noticed where the rest of the Fox 'birds are!  I would assume they are right near the TC's, but I have never actually seen them.  I'll make it a point to get all of the Fox 'birds next year.

Next year should be better since it's a special show for us T-Bird guys.  Of course - they'll probably screw the Cougars over again.  I wish they would put them with the 'birds.
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |

Carlisle 2014

Reply #6
ok sweet deal im def looking forward to next years show. they normally keep us close to u guys but they like to mix us up with the 89+ cars that's y we get overlooked mainly.

Carlisle 2014

Reply #7
we also don't have a big turn out in our class one years its 2-3 cars and ones like this past there where 7 of us

Carlisle 2014

Reply #8
I went up there for the first time and was really disappointed with the turnout of the 80 - 88 Birds. Only about 8 were there. Judging was non- existent. Didn't even check to see if I won anything. Maybe next year will be better. Why do they put all the turbos in a separate class? They are still T- Birds.

Carlisle 2014

Reply #10
I like Carlisle but have grown really weary of the Cougar class ALWAYS getting shoved to the ass end of the show field, not to mention how it rains every. Single. ed. Year. That is just so much fun with a leaky top. And traveling to and from the hotel to the fairgrounds, usually 30 minutes away? Oh. Joy. That's just why I take a vacation, to do just that.*

The judging is ridiculous. A perfect example of how the system gets exploited: there is a person (not a member here) that had this raging hard-on for trying to "outdo" my car. This is about 10 years ago or so. Whatever mod I made to the convertible, he did to his coupe immediately afterward and without exception. He had been working on the car for some time without driving it. I believe it made its debut at Carlisle, when he had his dad, brother, cousins, neighbors, etc. all enter their POS cars--and that's being generous--just so they could get their own ballots and skew the voting his way. He also stopped just about everyone with a ballot in hand to schmooze them, doing whatever it took to sway things in his direction. Meanwhile I simply put the hood up and walked to the swap meet part of the fairgrounds, letting my car speak for itself.

Needless to say, he got his first place $23 trophy. I guess it meant that much to him to get that dust collector and say that his car "beat" mine. Meanwhile, I'm LMAO because I technically made him spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to keep up with my mods, and he really didn't even do them right, just borrowed the ideas and gave them about 80% execution. But hey, in the end, it's what he wanted and Carlisle was a successful outing for him. (Ironically, the next year, a friend of mine competed directly with this same dude's car and blew him out of the water with a landslide victory…again, lifting the hood and walking away.)

But my favorite is the local (to Carlisle) guy that just shows up in his silver '85 every year. He's quiet, unassuming, usually not even around his car much. Most years he's been a solid second or first place. Is his car that exceptional? Well, it's clean but it's not perfect. But he does get an award because he shows up in a class where there usually aren't many cars. And that's pretty much all it takes!

Any given year, anything can happen. But if you're going for just a trophy, be prepared for politics, boot-lickers and disappointment.

*Truth be told, I'm the worst offender for Carlisle because I usually encourage people to go, but I don't really go myself. But that's because of the weather, mostly. It's tough to get an accurate weather report 2 days out, let alone 180 days, for the Carlisle area. Thanks, Appalachian Mountains. So I don't pre-register at all due to that issue. If I go, it's spur of the moment, usually a few days notice. What is that saying--do as I say, not as I do? LOLz.

Carlisle 2014

Reply #11
I don't think there is any kind of elitist attitude among Turbocoupe Owners.  We also don't pick how Carlisle Events splits up the classes.  Even among the TC's the split in classes is stupid.  '83-'87 Stock & Modified, '88 Stock, & '88 Modified.  I don't care as I don't go to try to win anything.  In fact, I go with the expectation of NOT winning anything, and so far my expectations have been met.

It would be nice if all of the Fox 'birds AND Cougars were together on the field.  To me that makes sense, but I don't run the show.  It's pathetic the way the Cougars get shoved in the back.  This year I was even told where they were and still couldn't find them.  I did eventually, but it took a while.  Every year it, unfortunately, becomes more and more a Mustang show than anything else.  I even noticed some Mustangs near us and up on the hill.  THAT is annoying - especially because the majority of them were built within the past 10 years.

The "judging" - yeah... it's a joke.  Although there is some entertainment value in it at times.  A couple years ago there was almost a fistfight between two... seniors... in the 2002-2005 T-Bird section.  That was pretty funny.  The guy riding around on a Rascal accused some other Old du.. er... Senior gentleman... of cheating.  Their section was right behind ours so all of us who were still there just sat and watched the show.  Those 11th gen T-Bird guys are a different breed.  some of them even trailer their 10 year old cars to the show.  I just don't get it, but then again, I don't believe in trailer queens in the first place.  I buy cars to drive; not just to look at.

But I'll keep going.  It's the only show I really go to, and it's the only time of the year I get to hang out with my NATO group.
Brian Leavitt

Carlisle 2014

Reply #12
Quote from: Herbsbird;436860
I went up there for the first time and was really disappointed with the turnout of the 80 - 88 Birds. Only about 8 were there. Judging was non- existent. Didn't even check to see if I won anything. Maybe next year will be better. Why do they put all the turbos in a separate class? They are still T- Birds.

you were in my class herbsbird. I believe u did very well. I for some reason have not uploaded a pic of my car but I was the baby blue 87 sport at the end of the row by the guardrail. with some chrome on the motor and a set of 5 spoke ROH wheels. a few ppl talked to me but most had the same question and that was my headlights looking almost brand new and asking where I bought them lol

Carlisle 2014

Reply #13
Quote from: Drewstang;436861
Kinda reminds me of the Cobra elitist attitude the Mustang guys get........ not trying to start anything.

I've found that attitude everywhere in the car show/hobbyist scene - some vehicle models more than others but they all seem to have it.  Even cruise-ins.

Quote from: BLeavitt23;436881
I don't think there is any kind of elitist attitude among Turbocoupe Owners.

I've experienced quite the contrary. Only a few times in the past 10 or more years or so but every time I've approached a Turbo Coupe owner at a local show or cruise in, they turn out to be complete pompous asses.  They obviously aren't members on this forum but maybe somewhere else I don't visit.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Carlisle 2014

Reply #14
I thought it was pretty good set up the year our cat's were featured. I went the next 2 years and wasn't to impressed with the whole setup. Maybe next year I'll give it a shot.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +