Skip to main content
Topic: Hood Hinges??? (Read 3685 times) previous topic - next topic

Hood Hinges???

Are there suppose to be any springs on the hinges to help with lifting the hood, seems like my hinges are getting in a bind while opening up.  If not are there anything aftermarket that would work?

Hood Hinges???

Reply #1
Yeh,theirs springs on them. try lubing them? You have a prop rod on a 83 don't you? then no you don't.
you could put 87-88 ones on. I think.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Hood Hinges???

Reply #2
83-86, no. 87-88, there were springs that kept the hood open, you don't need a prop rod. Hinges from an 87-88 will bolt right onto an 83-86. Hinges from a Lincoln MK VII will also bolt on, that's what I have on mine.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Hood Hinges???

Reply #3
I have a few sets of 87-88 if your interested.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Hood Hinges???

Reply #4
Quote from: dragon574444;399988
83-86, no. 87-88, there were springs that kept the hood open, you don't need a prop rod. Hinges from an 87-88 will bolt right onto an 83-86. Hinges from a Lincoln MK VII will also bolt on, that's what I have on mine.

X2

Highly recommend using hinges with springs.  The early units require the use of a prop rod and the hood is heavy without spring assist! 

It was a swap I made last year and is one of those little improvements I really appreciate. 

The newer ones with springs aren't hard to find.

Hood Hinges???

Reply #5
Just a note...you have 1983 hinges, they are different from 1984-up. I don't know if the Mark VII add-on setup would work on the '83 hinges.
It might just be easier to swap out the hinges for 1987-88 style with the built-in springs. If it were me, that's what I'd do.

Hood Hinges???

Reply #6
I like the 83-86 with the prop rod. I considered swapping to them on my 87 back in the day.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Hood Hinges???

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack;400180
I like the 83-86 with the prop rod. I considered swapping to them on my 87 back in the day.

I guess I'd have to ask...why? The hinges aren't any heavier, so no gains there. And it's so nice being able to open the hood with one hand, you never have to worry about bumping the prop rod while working either. I have noticed that my hood opened slightly higher with the manual brackets though.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Hood Hinges???

Reply #8
i hate the stupid prop rod, would love to swap to something else at some stage.
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Hood Hinges???

Reply #9
i dont mean to sound stupid or anything but,,,

you know those fouton bed / couch combo's ?

you lift up a little and the hing wratches down, you lift up again and it wratchets up and locks in place.
we were harvesting parts off it as we do with many things before they get burned or thrown out, these hinges are a good beefy setup for hoods with prop rods.

they look just like car hood hinges without the spring. 
lift up a little then let the hood down.
pop the hood and lift up and it locks up as high as you want to go.

just sayin

Hood Hinges???

Reply #10
jcassity,
            I'm curious as to what you are referring to. I would like to see them. Do you know who sells them? I also have the 1986 prop rod and it's always getting in the way. Thanks!

Hood Hinges???

Reply #11
Just a FYI: with the factory hod springs you can pretty much open the hood as much as you want and it just stays where you put it. It's kind of nice to have settings between full open and closed.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Hood Hinges???

Reply #12
I'll get a pic of them tomorrow (well i guess today), but i agree with the above post though.  it is a benefit to have loose hinges but a pita for the prop rod.
this would encorperate both worlds.

the hinges im talking about are on a fold out couch / futon (spelling)?
they watchet both ways max swing of approx 180deg.

Hood Hinges???

Reply #13
wonder if air shocks would be a better solution.,, kinda like what some do to thier trunk lids.

Hood Hinges???

Reply #14
I saw one company selling a custom set one for each side. It had no hydraulics, they just locked up when extended. I bought some small hood shocks a while back off ebay. I should find them and see if they might work.