Skip to main content
Topic: My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics) (Read 33854 times) previous topic - next topic

My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics)

Reply #15
Good to see you got the car home.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #16
The car has a full set of 10 holes on it and I have two spares that I will be mounting slicks on in the future.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #18
I wish I had the room for one more.  The wife parks in the other half of the garage and my truck sits outside.

I am trying to go with the lightest weight possible so today I swapped in a manual seat track on the drivers side.  I weighed them both and the power track weighed 25 pound compared to the manual tracks 9 pounds.  I am happy with a 16 pound loss.  Now if only I would get on the treadmill more and lose 16 pounds myself.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #19
Don't take this the wrong way , but I actually laughed out loud when I read why your doors were a different color .
 It is SO much harder to change a door than to swap glass :D
 But I am certainly impressed with all the work you have done.
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #20
You know, with what I know now, I have to agree with you.  I was young and pretty limited on tools, but if I had to do it over again I would swap the glass out.

Reply #21
Live and learn , I can sympathize I have done my share of making things harder than they had to be  :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #22
Small update.  This last weekend I changed the valve cover gasket and put new of those plastic plugs in the drivers side power window motor.  No more oil leak and the window works again!

Reply #23
Nice one piece gasket.Leave the cover off so you can always see it when you open the hood.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #24
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;319183
My VAM and air filter are missing!  I didn't notice until after the truck was gone.  I am going to go ahead and say it probably fell off with a good bump in the 1200 miles it took for the car to get here, but it was on there pretty well.  I guess it's not a big deal, just sucks that I have to replace them now.

Are you going with a factory air cleaner or an aftermarket one? If you're going with a stock one and if they're the same as the 87/88 Turbo Coupe, then I've got one you can have.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #25
I am going to go with a K&N cone filter right on the VAM.  Thanks for the offer though, I do appreciate it.

Reply #26
Did a little more work to the car yesterday.  I finally got rid of the column shifter (sorry Watchdevil!)  It was a huge pain to get rid of it.  I tried knocking the pin out to get the shift lever out but that pin just would not come out no matter what.  I tried knocking it out from the top and bottom and it wouldn't budge.  I eventually ended up cutting the shaft just bellow the shift lever with a hacksaw (took forever) and then pulling the shaft out through the engine bay.  Not fun but at least its done.  The bar weighed in right at 5 pounds, so I am happy with it.

Reply #27
Did you also get the suspension parts off the 2.3? 

Any plans for paint, or are you looking for a hood off a silver car?

Those hub caps were teh ghey, glad you went with something else.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #28
I didn't get any of the suspension parts from the XR7.  It was stolen from next to my house before I could get the suspension, exhaust(only have up to the cat,) trunk lid, rear end, and tail lights.  The thing that makes the most mad is that instead of the traction lok 3.45 I'm supposed to have, I have the stock open rear end with 2.73s.  I bet this car is a dog down low right now (I haven't driven it yet.)

I have no current plans for paint.  Maybe eventually when I get the car to a power level that makes me happy I will look into paint.  I am keeping my eyes open for a TC hood but not too worried about it because I will probably be going with a front mount intercooler.

Reply #29
Lookin' good with the wheels and shifter removal!

Does make me wonder if the filter and whatnot fell off in the road, or in the truck driver's hand before the trip started...:punchballs:

Glad to see it coming along so nicely :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6