Skip to main content
Topic: $1.00 gas (Read 25192 times) previous topic - next topic

$1.00 gas

Its comming.  I stopped by my former place of work today (service station where I fixed cars) and get this..

They were modifying the gasoline price signs for an extra digit.

For the americans reading, this may not make much sence:  In Canada gas prices have always been advertised as cents per liter.
As in 92.9 cents / liter.  Today they added the position for the one on the electronic sign.  Must mean prices are expeceted to climb.

Re: $1.00 gas

Reply #1
$2.24 per gallon.Walking is starting to sound like a good idea,plus,with the money I save on gas,that would be $100 a month to buy parts with.Of course....................
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Started adding digits to the signs here today aswell, its been all over the radio. I'm looking at a chevy sprint, or maybe a moped. Could get either for a few hundred
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
and I'm sure they'll only keep going up. Internal combustion on gasoline is soon to become a thing of the past. What do we have? 10 more years, at best, of petroleum?

makes me worried about whether we'll be able to convert these cars over to a new fuel source or be forced to buy new and have loose s everywhere we look
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #4
At current consumption rates (here in the states) we have around 100 years worth of oil in strategic reserves.  We'll never see 99 cents a gallon ever again, just because we've been conditioned over the last five years to be okay with paying $1.50+ a gallon.  Profits for oil companies have never been higher, so we know there is no going back now.  Until the big three domestic auto makers get proactive and drop the lobbyists they have in Washington that push the governement to keep emission standards down for certain vehicles, we'll have to turn to puppiesan for feul efficiency. 

Anyone seen the new Escape hybrid?  If they really wanted to push the technology and get it out into the market, they wouldn't have a base price of $26000.  My dad has been saying for years that I'll see a cold fusion or hydrogen fuel cell car in my lifetime.  I can't wait to install Mr. Fusion on my car so I can burn trash as fuel and retro fit it to fly.

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird
$2.24 per gallon.Walking is starting to sound like a good idea,plus,with the money I save on gas,that would be $100 a month to buy parts with.Of course....................

So you can walk away from the fast car you have in the garage? :hick:

Reply #6
Quote from: ban-one
At current consumption rates (here in the states) we have around 100 years worth of oil in strategic reserves.

okay, "affordable" years left. There's plenty of less-desirable locations to obtain oil from but it'll cost a bit more per barrel than current locations. Wouldn't be surprised if its over $5/gallon, before taking into considerating inflation, by 2010
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #7
When I first read the title of this thread I thought "I haven't payed THAT little for gas in about 7 years" and then realized it was probably per liter and not per gallon.

I was watching a program on the Discovery Channel a while back that stated The Alaska Pipeline is estimated to be about halfway (if not more) used up.  As far as giving up a fast car for fuel economy, the new Lexus RX Hybrid is FASTER than is gas counterpart.  I believe the technology is in place to make a fast, light, and economically viable (read: cheap) vehicle that has great fuel economy, however the beaurocratic machine in Washington (amongst other places) is not ready to admit that oil will one day run out.  If you squeeze a grape juice will only run down your fingers for so long.......
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
the better gas miliage that the newer cars get, the more gas is going to go up to make the diffrence. The better technology gets, the worse off we are unless we upgrade with them ed if you do ed if you dont.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
The oil guys are hoping we all buy fuel efficient cars. Then they can double the price. We pay the same amount, but only get half as much gas. They make double the profits and their reserve lasts twice as long.

Until we start making our own renewable fuel (such as grain alcohol) we're gonna get boned. The ones in control of the oil have absoltuely no interest in us. They know they can charge what they want, because they know we'll pay it. Much like auto insurance.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
i may be talking out of my arse but. i think i may have a point.  isnt their some laws about monopolys meaning that if a copany gets to big they have to sell foo some to gain more. so why is it that the oil companies can keep growing with out sacrafice.

like i said im probably wrong and someone will clear things up for me. . (i'll get ready to slap my head)
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #11
because they're not based in the US?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #12
Quite simply because the oil companies are powerful enough that the gov't won't dare touch 'em. They've got lots of money, and lots of money equals a big lobbying power. Not to mention that in areas that have a sales tax on top of the price of gas (like here in Nova Scotia, where 15% of the price is sales tax, in ADDITION to the other taxes), the higher price means higher revenue.

'Round here we have the additional problem in that 90% of the local stations are owned by the big oil companies. When, say, Petro Canada (and it's ALWAYS either Petro Canada or Esso) decides they want to raise the price, they call all their local stations and tell them to. At once every Petro Canada in town raises their price. within a few minutes all of the other corporate stations raise their prices too. A few independants will hold the line on the price for a few hours (Wilson's, most particularly). Sometimes they will hold it long enough that the big companies are forced to lower theirs, but more often than not, the big companies simply raise the wholesale price enough that Wilson's is forced to raise their prices (because Wilsons must buy their fuel from the big companies). When the price of gas goes up the station managers say it's because the wholesale price went up. The station owners control the wholesale price. See anything fishy here?

Then, every time the price takes a jump, the public starts crying for regulation. The oil companies counter with their argument that these are global forces that local regulation can't control. They say that regulation will actually INCREASE prices, ignoring the fact that Prince Edward Island, a province with regulated prices, is consistently 10 cents/liter (about 38 cents/gallon) cheaper. Or even more cheaper. I don't think that PEI has had more expensive gas than NS once in the three or four years that this gouging has been going on. The big oil companies will maintain that a free market is better, competition is healthy they say, yet the price of gas does not vary by so much as one tenth of one cent anywhere within 100 miles of Halifax. They're all working together to screw us, and the government turns a blind eye while they rake in the taxes.

Much like auto insurance. We're forced by law to pay it but there are no laws regulating what they can charge us.

We're getting boned.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13
We're getting boned.

Indeed.  Bio diesel.  That's where it's at.  There's a place near where I live called Matlock Farms that sells it for $1.35 per gallon.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #14
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Quite simply because the oil companies are powerful enough that the gov't won't dare touch 'em.

And in some cases, the oil companies are the government. *cough*Bush*cough*