Skip to main content
Topic: T5 Grinding Reverse and at times First (Read 3988 times) previous topic - next topic

T5 Grinding Reverse and at times First

I swapped in a T5 for my old AOD and while everything shifted great while the T5 was in the Turbo Coupe before I removed it to put in my Sport Coupe, I now have a terrible time trying to shift into reverse and sometimes in first.  I have an adjustable cable clutch and tightened as much as I could and then bought a spacer and tightened it up some more.  After installing the spacer, it was too tight and the clutch would not disengage.  I loosened it up a bit and now it does shift (engage/disengage) a bit sooner on the pedal travel but I still have a hard time shifting in reverse and sometimes in first.  If it helps at all, I noticed it shifts cleanest when it's cold and rougher after I've driven it a little.  Also, if it matters, I do have an aluminum flywheel.  Does anybody have any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Still seems to be adjustment, I know mine is real finicky about it. I have to adjust mine with no free play. It does seem like you tried everything.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
I've had some of these issues before.  Sounds nothing out of the norm. It is best to get things inside the tranny lined up before you try to put it into reverse or into 1st at times. So before you go to put it into reverse or even 1st work it though the other gears 2nd-4th this will get all the gears lined up. I know it sounds weird but in many T-5 cars and such this has always done it for me.

hope this helps
Stuckman

P.S. also I remember that they made a upgraded shift fork/throw out bearing plate as some people that slam on the clutch would bend them. Then casuing the clutch not to fully disengauge so they could shift properly. Just another thought to throw in the idea pile.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
Something is definately out of adjustment or bent, etc.  I guess you could always trash it in favor of a 6 speed!!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
The only piece of equipment I have that was used is the bellhousing -- new throwout bearing arm & gear, cable clutch, flywheel, pressure plate........  It sounds like I might have to tighten up the clutch a bit more then.  Does this make sense with my observation that it shifts great when I first back the car out of the garage and then after going through the gears begins to shift harder -- that while the clutch may not be fully disengaging it isn't an issue at first because the car was sitting idle and therefore I don't have to wait for the gears in my transmission to stop spinning before trying to get it in reverse.  Would this also make sense that first and reverse would be my most challenging gears to get into.  On a scale of one to ten (ten being the hardest and one being the easiest I'd have to say reverse is an 8 and first is a 3 after I've driven it a bit.)

Reply #5
OK sounds like you are not disengaging properly. Did you adjust the clutch pedal throw . What pedals are you using??? Basically you are not releasing enough. Check the release distance with a ruler. I think you need a min of 2 inches or better. This is from memory. Either way the clutch needs more fork travel if the instillation was dun correctly. Also the fork should be over center to the front of the car. IS IT?? Good luck

Note the 87 88 TC has a hydraulic clutch setup. So you must have used a cable setup. But which cable setup are you using??? Photos would help a lot. Thanks!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #6
Mine had this problem after the swap and it turned out to be a worn ball stud (the pivot for the fork). I replaced the ball stud and everything was spiffy...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures right now.  I'll see what I can do though.  The ball stud is new and it came with the bell housing I ordered from a popular Mustang vendor but I can't remember the exact name right now.  The clutch pedal is from a fox body Mustang GT ('87 I believe) -- I ordered that through E-Bay.  The cable is new and came with an aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster.  It is for a fox body Mustang so I didn't think there would be any difference between that and the T-Bird.

Reply #8
OK did you adjust the stud correctly??? The fork actually needs to be over center to the front of the engine by app 7-10*
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #9
I've had this problem in all of my t-5 cars, what I do is place it in 5th then straight to reverse. Works every time. No adjustment with hydraulic clutch.

Reply #10
I bet that even if you find a problem with the release, you'll still have trouble with reverse.  The reason is that reverse is not only non-synchronized, but it's a spur gear.  So the reason it's hard to put in gear is because it's made that way, which incidentally is the same reason it makes a funny grinding noise when you back up (spur gears are noisy).  If you've got any real problem, it's a worn blocking ring in the first gear synchro. It's not worth the trouble to change it for the problem you're having. Live with it.

Reply #11
Reverse grinding is easily eliminated by first selecting another gear to stop the spinning disc  then shift in to reverse.

Reply #12
Exactly, let one of the gears that IS synchronized slow the main shaft down for you.  This is what 88Turbo is doing when he hits 5th before dropping into reverse (as he mentioned in reply #10 on the previous page). The 5th gear blocking ring doesn't take much abuse either, so it will pretty much always be there for you.

Reply #13
I thought 5th gear was synchronized in the world class T-5's?

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/HanlonTIC.html

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #14
In a T-5 EVERYTHING is synchro except reverse. A blocking ring is part of the synchronizer assembly, its made of brass.  Its job is essentially to act as a mini-clutch between the synchro and the  gear.  It helps to match the speed of the desired gear to the speed of the mainshaft during the shift until the whole assembly locks together at the end of it's travel.  That way, you don't get gear clash when shifting.  Forgive me for being redundant if you already know this, but I don't like to make assumptions about what people know.

[video=youtube;_NTfjBwZfig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTfjBwZfig&feature=player_embedded#![/video]