Skip to main content
Topic: Best Thermostat.... (Read 944 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Thermostat....

Should I get a factory rated temp thermostat, or go with a 180 degree piece, or other? 106 degrees here today by the way.

Edit.... The Sport has been getting a bit too warm on the gauge. No, I haven't installed an aftermarket gauge. I am checking the intake gasket for a leak next week, and maybe, the head gasket on the driver side. I am thinking that's where I'm losing water. The Sport has no external leaks, and I haven't seen oil in the pan. I'm thinking a tiny, consistent leak in a gasket.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Best Thermostat....

Reply #1
Quote from: vinnietbird;394709
and I haven't seen oil in the pan.

Uhhhh vinnie.........  no oil in the pan huh?? 

J/K I know you meant water, but being the smart@$$ that I am, I just couldn't resist. ;)

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Best Thermostat....

Reply #2
Think he meant water lol.

Wouldn't you want a "cooler" T-stat...like a 160 or 165?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Best Thermostat....

Reply #4
180* ,  Do you have a cylinder leak down tester?  Id pop the radiator cap off and pressurize each cylinder to check your head gaskets.  Just look for bubbles.
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Best Thermostat....

Reply #5
I've always ran 180* with electric fan and good controller, with using the a/c on a hot day 95*+ in traffic I never had issues.  If your not using an electric fan and a decent controller than I would upgrade, its much cleaner looking and all your temp problems will be gone
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Best Thermostat....

Reply #6
LOL, yes, I did mean "water". 180 it is. I've got a compression check to do, balance test again, and, grab a new fan controller. Mine fragged about a year or so ago, and I just wired to run all the time.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Best Thermostat....

Reply #7
Iv'e had good luck the Hayden brand fan controllers. Make sure you wire in relays so you don't burn up the fan controller. Also you asked for the best thermostat. I would have to say one with a little bubbler hole or a fail safe. Or even buy the standard unit and drill a small hole in the flat area. Also unless your running a tuner or chip I would stick with the stock temp stat.

Hope that helps
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird