Skip to main content
Topic: TV on PC (Read 2507 times) previous topic - next topic

TV on PC

has anyone here done this?  I recently bought one of the cards from ebay and am trying it out, works really well except that i cant use my digital audio and my surround sound.

TV on PC

Reply #1
I used to do it, when my parents said I couldn't have a tv in my room! lol

That reminds me... I gotta get my cards back so I can do it again!
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

TV on PC

Reply #2
I have a cheap  CompUSA brand TV tuner card that works pretty well for being a $50 piece.  I broke the end of the coaxial cable so I've been too lazy to fix it and start using it again.

TV on PC

Reply #3
I did that so long ago its rediculous. I think the card costed $50, oh I dont know, 10 or more years ago?. It came for free with a $50 web cam actually... It was a long time ago I would have been 9 or 10 at the time. still works like new.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

TV on PC

Reply #4
Back when I first moved out on my own I bought an ATI All-In-Wonder Pro for my computer. It had a mighty 4MB frame buffer (maybe I should post this in that old Tandy thread) and I paired it with a 12MB 3DFX Voodoo II 3D card. I would sit up all night in front of that thing with mIRC taking up half the screen, a TV window taking up a quarter (with Duckman showing on it, usually), and some other random program taking up the remaining quarter. All this was squeezed onto a 14" CRT @1024X768

All that being a roundabout way of saying Yes, I've done it, and I liked it, but having a dedicated TV ended up being better
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

TV on PC

Reply #5
If you do it dont go the ATI All-In-Wonder route. The TV on mine (AIW 9600) worked until I re-booted my machine and I've never been able to get it going since. One of the drivers caused windows not to boot up and I had to start up in safe mode and use system restore.

If I was to do it all over again I'd get one of the separate TV pci cards. I'll probably just do what ThunderChicken said and just get a TV for the "office".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

TV on PC

Reply #6
I'm running a Lifeview FlyTV based off brand card.  Works great.  One nice thing is, if I'm stuck at ARCH hall late with my laptop, and I know there is something I want to watch on, I can set up my tv on my desktop like a webcam, and watch tv at ARCH hall over the internet.  :)  I can't change channels (I haven't tried setting up a remote connection to it) but it's better than nothing.  I'm planning on doing this tonight for the BCS chapionship game (go Ohio State) while I get some work done.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

TV on PC

Reply #7
Quote from: SSX;122582
(go Ohio State)

I love you!!!  Go State!

I have an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER x800 xt 256ddr2 card.  I love it.
One 88

TV on PC

Reply #8
I bought a pcHDTV card for $120 that gives you HDTV as well as the standard buttstuffog TV. 

The card works good, especially since it added HDTV (there are about 4 new on the air channels) to the house.

It was a struggle since I've never messed with Linux before, but worth the effort to then install MythTV, a free version similar to TIVO that skips commercials, as well as records programs automatically.  It also gives you a free on-screen TV guide.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/08/the_mythtv_convergence/

http://mythtv.org/

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7