Skip to main content
Topic: I'm a nerd! (Read 3116 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm a nerd!

Here's what my AMD Althon 1700+ is running at. Factory speed is 1.477 ghz.

Been running like this for over a year.

I'm not a nerd!

Reply #1
I havn't got a clue what any of thats supposed to mean :crazy:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Re: I'm a nerd!

Reply #2
It means that he overclocked his computer outta the ass
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
eh, people got plenty of the 1700+ tbred B's past 2Ghz with no problem when they came out, some pushing upwards of 2.5. My tbred A on the other hand (that I just happened to get weeks before the b's were announced...) can't pass 1.8...currently at 1.6 :wtf: I always get stuck with the py parts

Someone wanna buy me a new computer? ...its about time at 2+ years old. :grinno:
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #4
I got a P4 Intel 1.6ghz 512k cache 400mhz bus processor on Asus P4S333 overclocked at 2.1ghz since i bought it bran new 2 year ago for 700$ (With 512mb DDR 333mhz PC2700)

Work like a charm and benchmark tested up to 2.4ghz... 

IMO Buying AMD is not better than buying a Celeron.... Its already on its top speed capability....
Maybe you were lucky.... but with a AMD or Celeron when overclocked, be sure your fan will never fail.... or your CPU will follow...

Reply #5
Well part of why the fan didnt fail is because there is no fan. :grinno:

Reply #6
unless you're cooling with water or nitrogen (my bet is on water) say farewell to that processor. But it is cool that you got it running that fast (presuming it's stable). I personally never got into the overclocking crowd, i'd just as well buy a processor that can already got that fast (well technically i did). But if you're happy with it I guess that's all that matters!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #7
What you using to cool it man?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #8
shiznit, I have an 1800 and I've never pushed it past its stock speed of 1533.  I'm scared to.

Reply #9
What does a celeron have to do with amd's processors? The newest celerons are basically older P4 cores made on similar manufacturing processes (earlier ones had smaller cache which is the only physical difference). AMD's duron and sempr0n are also just lower cache versions of their higher-end processors (the sempr0n being the same to say the 1700+ above other than the die size). Buying any top-speed processor isn't going to leave you as much headroom for speed increases than if you were to buy a lower speed version. It doesn't matter if its an Intel chip, AMD, or VIA. Celerons still generally overclock better than P4's anyways, so that point is void.

Also although AMD's processors don't throttle down like the P4's do (I love that feature!), they do run cooler than the P4's by a good margin now. Fan or no fan, both processors will not work properly without one. Also, the circuitry on both platforms (motherboard being the most important factor) is to the point that neither SHOULD burn up if a fan dies or for some reason the heatsink falls off.

On the topic of buying the faster speeds...occasionally people find a batch of lower speed processors that are capable of running as fast or faster than the higher speed ones. Say you have a 1700+ and a 3400+, yet the 1700+ can run at the 3400's speed at the same voltage and everything. Say its $200 cheaper. There you go. Maybe the 2400 can get up to 3800 and the 1700 can get up to 4200+ ratings, then what? :grinno: Voltage kills a processor, not so much speeds its capable of running at (especially without bumping the voltage up). Voltage is also where heatgains are generally seen. Putting in the same amount of energy (voltage) will put off the same amount of heat.

and on being afraid to push that 1800, just push it up until its unstable (stress test it to make sure), then back down a notch or two (Backing down ~100-133MHz should give you a solid system all the time at all temperature ranges). Leaving the voltage alone, it won't really decrease its lifespan much if at all and cooling can remain the same

Running water? Have a spare pump? :p My Hydor's noisy as hell (shaft's damaged)

and yes I talk a lot...its the one field I have 12 years of experience in - tweaking and overclocking  :grinno: that and grounding an entire motherboard at a young age...standoffs? Who needs standoffs?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #10
oh, I forgot to ask, what voltage are you running that 1700 at?

and I thought I'd throw this in this morning: I'm not attacking anyone above, just trying to clear up stereotypes between different manufacturers. They all have their ups and downs and even though I sound like I favor amd, I'd rather have an Intel setup right now (the chipset can mean a lot more than the processor used and intel makes great chipsets).
1988 Thunderbird Sport