Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1137663 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #3315
Get in and drive!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3316
The wife and I cruised around the Island today... A nice 20 min drive.... The car still rides like a tank...but boy does it have a lot of get up and go now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3317
Drive,drive, drive the heck out of it.

And do burnouts. Lots of glorious burnouts. With the cam you have an the converter (I have the same stall and cam ;)) you should be able to push the throttle half way down from a stop and lay rubber for 30-40 feet and make the car go sideways. Mine will. It is fun :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3318
Nice to see you're enjoying it after all that hard work!

Reply #3319
Quote from: daminc;435851
project complete.......

Words I never thought I'd see. Hell yeah now enjoy it Jerry!
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #3320
of course this means I can strip down the vert, now that I have another car to drive....

After driving my 87 again after 10 years, I've noticed how inferior the earlier cars were constructed... The vert feels like I'm driving a tin can in comparison, or almost like I remember my moms 82 Chevette feeling like when I drove it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3321
The early ones are VERY close in fell to a fox Mustang.  Everything has to be spot on or else you'll notice.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3322
I have looked at portions of this thread here and there, but last night and this morning  I started at the beginning and went to the finish. I did skim over some of the Vinnie and company comedy, but WOW, what a trip. The workmanship and effort put into this car, to quote many, is crazy.

daminc

After driving my 87 again after 10 years, I've noticed how inferior the earlier cars were constructed... The vert feels like I'm driving a tin can in comparison, or almost like I remember my moms 82 Chevette feeling like when I drove it 

Just wondering if you think this may have anything to do with the sub frame connectors, jacking bars, welded seams, umpteen coats of paint top and bottom of the floors, sound deadening on the floor etc.? That and the fact the convert is lacking the structure of the roof. I have a friend with a 87 bird, and my brother has the 84 cougar, I never noticed much of a difference, but can't say I really paid much attention either.

Reply #3323
I said it a o
long time ago, but EVERY time I READ "Project Evolution", I HEAR in my head....Project Evolution Revolution. LOL. YOU know what I mean. LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3324
Quote from: daminc;435906

Yep. I've been saying this for years also. And Jerry, you put in more bracing than normal so you should have noticed a huge difference.
Every spring when I take my convertible out for the first spin of the year, I just cringe at all the rattles and the horrid ride quality LOL.
But I still wouldn't trade it for anything.

Reply #3325
I'm not sure if it is all the bracing or not, but I remember it driving like a tank compared to many cars years ago.. After driving the vert, I pretty much now know how I need to rebuild certain parts of that car....I hate not being able to latch the roof because I'm parked on an un-eaven surface.. I think the weight, and size difference between the 2 models of cougars have a lot to do with how it feels when you drive it.....the parts bird also didnt have the same feel as my cougar. Could be the roof length thats doing it too. there's a lot of metal there
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3326
after having my entire car apart and then putting it back together..... I am surprised that it doesnt rattle, squeak, shimmy, or shake.....  the steering wheel doesnt even shake, or vibrate at 60mph
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3327
Quote from: daminc;435934
I'm not sure if it is all the bracing or not, but I remember it driving like a tank compared to many cars years ago.. After driving the vert, I pretty much now know how I need to rebuild certain parts of that car....I hate not being able to latch the roof because I'm parked on an un-eaven surface.. I think the weight, and size difference between the 2 models of cougars have a lot to do with how it feels when you drive it.....the parts bird also didnt have the same feel as my cougar. Could be the roof length thats doing it too. there's a lot of metal there

You know even my Mark VII, probably the stiffest Fox-platform car from the factory, lacks in comparison to my Thunderbird. The Thunderbird has subframe connectors and a Maximum Motorsports strut tower bar. Those two things made a noticeable difference in chassis rigidity.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3328
The first mod anyone with a Fox car should do is subframe connectors.  I took my '83 to a body shop with a frame machine and had them check it prior to welding them in so it would not be permanently out of whack.  With just the Global West units welded in it was like night and day but when I welded up the Griggs uppers subframes and tied them into the lowers there was again improvement.  I noticed zero difference with the 6 point roll cage but I feel safer.  However a person goes about installing subframe connectors (bought or hand built) it is hands down the best mod for these cars but please do not bolt them in weld, weld, weld them in!!

And so I am not totally off topic here, this is one hell of a build thread!  One of the most detailed I've seen and the results were worth all the effort man.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3329
Quote from: EricCoolCats;435927
Yep. I've been saying this for years also. And Jerry, you put in more bracing than normal so you should have noticed a huge difference.
Every spring when I take my convertible out for the first spin of the year, I just cringe at all the rattles and the horrid ride quality LOL.
But I still wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm going to try to fix that problem first.... I'm also tired of the door glass rubbing on the top frame depending how its parked... I see a lot of welding coming my way this winter... my goal is to be able to jack it up in the center like this car, and not have it bend in half.

keep an eye out this fall, for the next project
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?23805-Evolution-II-misc-stuff-July-26-2012
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook