Skip to main content
Topic: Deciphering Fox Axels (Read 46916 times) previous topic - next topic

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #45
Quote from: edgar_g1;364485
old thread, but I keep coming back to it.  Is there a way to make a permanent link?

It's already a sticky.  Not much searching to do...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #46
Just wondering but does anyone have all the measurements for the axles from an 86-88 Thunderbird/Cougar with the 7.7"/8.8" rear and drum brakes? I'm going to order a set of 4-lug, 31 spline, C-clip axles from Strange over the winter (they are local to me and the local speed shop can get me a discount) and I need all the measurements for this form: http://www.strangeengineering.net/website/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Axle-Order-Form.pdf

The only way I can get the measurements is to take an axle out of my Thunderbird, which I don't want to do. The Axles are the same between the 7.5" and 8.8" with drum brakes. I've got an 8.8" rear from an 88 XR7 I'm going to be building for my car over the winter.

Another thought was that the 94-04 Mustang axels are the same length as the 86-88 Thunderbird/Cougar drum brake axles. I could just order a set of those with the fox 4 lug bolt pattern. Has anyone actually confirmed that those axles are the same length as the 86-88 Thunderbird/Cougar axles?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #47
Quote from: thunderjet302;437486
Just wondering but does anyone have all the measurements for the axles from an 86-88 Thunderbird/Cougar with the 7.7"/8.8" rear and drum brakes? I'm going to order a set of 4-lug, 31 spline, C-clip axles from Strange over the winter (they are local to me and the local speed shop can get me a discount) and I need all the measurements for this form: http://www.strangeengineering.net/website/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Axle-Order-Form.pdf

The only way I can get the measurements is to take an axle out of my Thunderbird, which I don't want to do. The Axles are the same between the 7.5" and 8.8" with drum brakes. I've got an 8.8" rear from an 88 XR7 I'm going to be building for my car over the winter.

Another thought was that the 94-04 Mustang axels are the same length as the 86-88 Thunderbird/Cougar drum brake axles. I could just order a set of those with the fox 4 lug bolt pattern. Has anyone actually confirmed that those axles are the same length as the 86-88 Thunderbird/Cougar axles?

Did you look at the spreadsheet in post #12 of this thread? There are dimensions listed for the 86-88TBird axles.

The 94-98 axles are the same length as ALL of the 83-88 Tbird axles, but the 86-88 TBird housings (non-Disc) are wider. The bearing surface locations are not the same.
99-04 axles are longer and the housing wider.

The info you're looking for is in that spreadsheet. (Well, except for the "H" on the form, which is the bearing surface OD...which is the same across all the Fox axles.)

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #48
Quote from: Chuck W;437490
Did you look at the spreadsheet in post #12 of this thread? There are dimensions listed for the 86-88TBird axles.

The 94-98 axles are the same length as ALL of the 83-88 Tbird axles, but the 86-88 TBird housings (non-Disc) are wider. The bearing surface locations are not the same.
99-04 axles are longer and the housing wider.

The info you're looking for is in that spreadsheet. (Well, except for the "H" on the form, which is the bearing surface OD...which is the same across all the Fox axles.)

I did look at the spreadsheet. Of course I found it after I posted. The "D" and "E" measurements between the 94-98 axles and the 86-88 axles appear to be slightly different. Enough so that I'll use the 86-88 measurements when ordering instead of ordering 94-98 axles with a 4 lug pattern. Then again all the axles are the same length. I'm guessing bearing surface differences might come into play?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #49
Quote from: thunderjet302;437503
I did look at the spreadsheet. Of course I found it after I posted. The "D" and "E" measurements between the 94-98 axles and the 86-88 axles appear to be slightly different. Enough so that I'll use the 86-88 measurements when ordering instead of ordering 94-98 axles with a 4 lug pattern. Then again all the axles are the same length. I'm guessing bearing surface differences might come into play?

Yeah, the bearing surfaces are different, due to the wider housings on the 86-88 (non-disc) cars vs, the 94-98.  The 87-88TC housing/axles are the same widths/lengths as the 94-98 stuff.

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #50
Quote from: Chuck W;437506
Yeah, the bearing surfaces are different, due to the wider housings on the 86-88 (non-disc) cars vs, the 94-98.  The 87-88TC housing/axles are the same widths/lengths as the 94-98 stuff.

Cool. I'll just order the axles with the 86-88 drum axle measurements.

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #51
Quote from: Chuck W;138304
Jim, you're making my head hurt....

Using the 29-5/32" Ranger axles in the shorter housing gives the same overall width as the Fox Mustangs... 59.5" .... in 5-lug.  I have no idea what the length of the other side Ranger axle is....The 29-5/32" dimension is from the splined end to the faqce of the lug .....  add .75" to that and you're at approx 29.9"....which is the Tbird/SN-95 axle length.

The Mk7 axles will be .75" + .50" = 1.25" longer than the Fox Mustang axles... Your early Mk7 axle housing is the same width as the Mustang housings...so yes...the longer axles fit in the same housing, even though the resulting overall width is 2.5" wider.

So since 86 to 88 Thunderbird / Cougar axles are 29.9" would the axles for a 93 Mustang Cobra be a direct swap or are the bearing races in the wrong location?

28 Spline: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-a882842/overview/year/1993/make/ford/model/mustang

31 Spline: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-a883142/overview/year/1993/make/ford/model/mustang

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #52
Quote from: thunderjet302;451717
So since 86 to 88 Thunderbird / Cougar axles are 29.9" would the axles for a 93 Mustang Cobra be a direct swap or are the bearing races in the wrong location?

28 Spline: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-a882842/overview/year/1993/make/ford/model/mustang

31 Spline: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-a883142/overview/year/1993/make/ford/model/mustang

The 93 Cobra would be the same as the 87-88TC set up.

The 86-88 7.5 axles would have bearing surfaces from 26.63- 28.38"

You might run into issues with the Cobra axles, depending on the outer dimension, seeing as those don't have to account for the wider housing. They may not go into the housing far enough.

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #53
For god's sake, can one of you mods edit the title?

Axels....makes my eyes hurt. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #54
Quote from: Chuck W;451718
The 93 Cobra would be the same as the 87-88TC set up.

The 86-88 7.5 axles would have bearing surfaces from 26.63- 28.38"

You might run into issues with the Cobra axles, depending on the outer dimension, seeing as those don't have to account for the wider housing. They may not go into the housing far enough.

I did some poking on the Corral. 93 Cobra axles are the same length as Turbo Coupe axles and work in the Turbo Coupe axle housing. Since Turbo Coupe axles are the same as Thunderbird/Cougar 7.5 axles Cobra axles should be a direct swap.

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #56
Well I ordered a set of 31 spline 93 Cobra axles from Moser. I talked to the guy there before ordering and he said they should be a direct swap for the Turbo Coupe/Thunderbird/Cougar 7.5 axles. They should arrive Wednesday. I'll measure them and post the results.

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #57
The Moser 31 Spline axle shafts for a 93 Cobra fit an 88 XR7 8.8 rear like a glove. That means they will also work in Thunderbird / Cougar 7.5 drum brake rear perfectly as well. The bearing area is from 25.125 to 28.3 inches from the splines.

Those of you looking for a set of drop in axle shafts for a Thunderbird / Cougar 7.5 rear, an 88 Cougar XR7 8.8 rear, or an 87 to 88 Turbo Coupe 8.8 rear have three options:

Yukon Gear and axle part number YAF750006 (28 spline)

Moser Engineering part number A882842 (28 spline)

Moser Engineering part number A883142 (31 spline) (only works with 8.8 rear carriers)

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #58
Hello all, Im starting from scratch with an 84 cougar and want to install a nine inch, by all the numbers ive been digesting here and in a couple other threads, it looks like i can buy a bolt in setup for an SN95 mustang with brakes and all and i can maintain the same track width and backspacing, correct?

also has anyone tried just bringing an entire 8.8 from wheel to wheel out of an SN95 to one of these cars? were there any mounting difficulties (i assume atleast the brake lines had to be modified or changed somehow.) but as far as mounting, is it a straight bolt up deal? any insight would be much appreciated.

one last thing, although slightly off topic, i saw alan mackin had squeezed some substantial tire in the back of his red turbocoupe on centerline wheels and was wondering if the cougar (with the proposed differential change) has the same space back there? seems he got away with a fender lip roll and some clearancing in the wheel well but nothing very trick or custom.

again thanks everyone for your insight this forum has been really helpful as ive been trolling it for weeks trying to figure out how to do this car up right the first time.

cheers
-phil

theres never enough money to build it right, but theres always enough to build it twice!

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #59
Quote from: philly;454283
Hello all, Im starting from scratch with an 84 cougar and want to install a nine inch, by all the numbers ive been digesting here and in a couple other threads, it looks like i can buy a bolt in setup for an SN95 mustang with brakes and all and i can maintain the same track width and backspacing, correct?

Yes, the complete rear from any V8 Mustang '94 to '98 will work. You'll want to avoid the '99-'04 rears as the axles are longer, though the rear housing itself is identical. Alternatively, you could use a rear from a '99 up and simply throw in ANY axles from a '94 to 98 Mustang, regardless of it being a 7.5" or an 8.8 rear...the axle shafts themselves are dimensionally identical save for the extra inch or so on the '99 up models.

also has anyone tried just bringing an entire 8.8 from wheel to wheel out of an SN95 to one of these cars? were there any mounting difficulties (i assume atleast the brake lines had to be modified or changed somehow.) but as far as mounting, is it a straight bolt up deal? any insight would be much appreciated.

Yes, it's a straightforward swap, though you'll need to modify your rear brake fitting and line to mate with the disc brake lines from the new rear. If you've got a 3,8 car, it's a bit more involved. You'll need some new line and bender, likely.

one last thing, although slightly off topic, i saw alan mackin had squeezed some substantial tire in the back of his red turbocoupe on centerline wheels and was wondering if the cougar (with the proposed differential change) has the same space back there? seems he got away with a fender lip roll and some clearancing in the wheel well but nothing very trick or custom.

I think he also runs custom wheels on that car, or I may be thinking of another fella. I'll leave this one to the folks who have stuffed big rubber in the wells out back....

again thanks everyone for your insight this forum has been really helpful as ive been trolling it for weeks trying to figure out how to do this car up right the first time.
cheers

Nothing wrong with getting it right on the first time...unless it's my car, in which case between my inability to meet deadlines and make hard fast decisions about what I want... :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6