Skip to main content
Topic: Fighting a high idle...HO swap related (Read 7271 times) previous topic - next topic

Fighting a high idle...HO swap related

Reply #30
Quote from: Haystack;387091
How does it act in drive, and is the tps voltage good through the whole sweep?

I swapped it to a stick......T5 baby!  Sweep...I'll check it out.  Bolted down and car running the TPS reads .95v.

Last night my wife told me to sell it and get a new 5.0 Mustang.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #31
Quote from: Haystack;387092
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html

Here you go, read though this. Shows you how to run codes, even has a video or two to show you what to look for.

I know what I'm doing tonight..............
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #32
It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Did you hook up the nss?

Which computer did you use? Is it a 5 speed computer or auto?

Ssorry, I keep forgetting you have the 5 speed.

Let us know your codes.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #33
Didn't do the codes...spent the night cutting firewood.  Will try to run the codes on Thursday.  I used a SD, 5 speed computer.

Reply #34
Cutting wood????  Is it still cold up there?
Mike

Reply #35
Quote from: mcb82gt;387202
Cutting wood????  Is it still cold up there?

I'm cutting for next year.  Always get my firewood done during March, April and May so I'm not sweating my nuts off in the summer!!

BTW....it was in the 30's last night.

Reply #36
Still didn't pull codes.....got tied up selling my motorcycle .  If I don't get this think fixed soon I'm gonna be a very unhappy fella.

Reply #37
Just ran codes.......nada.  I used a jumper wire from the SIGRTN port to the STI and got nothing.  CEL works, it lights up when you roll the key forward to start the car but it did not blink any codes.

Also ran a sweep of the TPS...no zero's popped up.  At idle position it sets at .95 and it maxed out at 6.0v.

Reply #38
A code 11 is a OK system pass, if you didn't get that you either didn't perform the test correctly or have wiring/ECM issues...

Reply #39
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;387506
A code 11 is a OK system pass, if you didn't get that you either didn't perform the test correctly or have wiring/ECM issues...

Argh.........

Reply #40
Also,try a test light or a jumper.

Check the black wire behind your battery on the fender that connects to your fuel injjection harness. That is a ground for the ecm. Also you wouldn't get a good reading on the tps if that wire was broken.

6.0v's is also a very high number for the tps. I have hardly ever gotten one above 5.0v's. Usually topping off in the gigh 4.9's.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #41
Ignition in RUN without starting, does the fuel pump run continuously instead of just 'priming' for a second? If it does, the EEC is in LOS (limp home) mode.

Try grounding the STI to run codes. If that works, the SIGRTN land in the EEC is probably blown.

Reply #42
Quote from: softtouch;387554
Ignition in RUN without starting, does the fuel pump run continuously instead of just 'priming' for a second? If it does, the EEC is in LOS (limp home) mode.

Try grounding the STI to run codes. If that works, the SIGRTN land in the EEC is probably blown.

Fuel pump....YES!!!  It does run constantly.

Will ground the STI today and see what happens.  From the diagrams I look at telling how to set up to run codes, I don't see one that lays out grounding the STI.  More info please??

Thanks!

BTW......folks......so far we are up to 6" of snow overnight with another foot coming before the end of the day.

Reply #43
Ummm about a 100 posts ago I recommended trying your original ECM to see if it corrected the TPS voltage problem, would also address the fuel pump running issue as well...

Reply #44
Is your tps signal voltage different when tested with ground at the battery instead of black wire (strtn ground)? This should tell you if. The computer is getting grounded properly. Also, your map sensor and other sensors will read high.

It is possible that the ground behind your battery that runs to the fuel injection harness could also be bad. It shouod be black with a white stripe. Take a test light or volt meter and test for connection. Testligght, hook it up to power and probe the wire. With the volt meter, test for resistance.

This caused my buddy a no start.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.