Skip to main content
Topic: T5 1992 Mustang worned synchro grinding. (Read 6498 times) previous topic - next topic

T5 1992 Mustang worned synchro grinding.

Hey guys.....

I decide to Fix my 1992 mustang T-5 Transmission and need some advice.

This transmission was sitting in my basp00get for the last 6 year.
Last time it was on a car, the tranny was starting to make a sort of grinding noise and was difficult to gear in from 1st to 2nd gear (Everthing else was #1).

Unfortunately, I was young and I was shifting like a jerk... That explain why I know its the synchro for sure...

I openened/separate and disassemble half of it. Every gears and bearings are still mint condition. I found 2 worned Brass Synchro (where the reverse fork is). Everything else is fine. This transmission was completely rebuilded with bran new parts 1 year before I totaled the car...

Could it just be just those 2 brass synchro?
Where can I buy those?

Re: T5 1992 Mustang worned synchro grinding.

Reply #1
anyone?  :dunno:

Reply #2
A Ford dealership should be able to get you the synchro's. I would recommend replacing all of the bearings and syncro's that you can get at (some may be impossible to get at without disassembling the shafts). You may even be able to get a rebuild kit.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
The problem with 2nd ain't gonna be on the reverse fork. If its a '92 tranny then it is a world class, and the problem will likely be the "cone" that fits in the center of the syncro assembly(has four tabs that fit into the syncro and is lined with a friction material ). If all the syncros are brass, you you have a '85-earlier non world class T5. Rebuild kits with all bearings, syncros ect. are readly available from D&D and Hanlon motor sports.

As far as having to replace everything, if it is a fairly fresh rebuild then I'd just do the syncros. I'm so cheap I put only syncros in a 106K mi '87 Stang tranny, was still workin fine when daughter sold it at 192K.

Got any pictures???

Reply #4
ill borrow my dad Camera and will be back with photo....

Yes, only 2 brass in this tranny.... all other synchro (or look alike) are black...

I'm so cheap I put only syncros in a 106K mi '87 Stang tranny, was still workin fine when daughter sold it at 192K.

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

Im scared to totally dissable that sh*t.... There is too many parts!.
Cynlidrical bearing, spacer, gears and much more I havent discovered yet....  :shoothead  I posess the Exploded View of it and im still downloading the Mitchell Tranny On Demand 2000 for a week now to help me... (got half of it...)
I hope i will not end up with some spare parts when reasembling it...  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :giggle:

How much did it cost ya just for the parts?
Im feeling cheap too...  :giggle:  :p

Reply #5
The rebuild kits are something like $165-$180(US), includes all syncros, bearings etc. Ite syncros alone from the dealer were $80(I didn't know about the kits in '93) I think I have a partial kit of used parts from when I rebuilt my 5.0 Mustang T5. I'll check and can post some pictures if needed.

Yea if it has black syncros, its a World Class.

Reply #6

Am I right?

Im a first timer in the transmission world...  :shoothead

Reply #7
Quote from: Sly1990

Am I right?

Im a first timer in the transmission world...  :shoothead

Nope no cigar, the gear ouside the case on the tail shaft with the brass syncro is 5th. 4th is the first gear inside the case from the input shaft, and next is 3rd, 2nd, reverse and 1st. Reverse is on the straight toothed gear between 1st and 2nd.