Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Cougar XR-7 Blacked Out Wheels (Read 2736 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Cougar XR-7 Blacked Out Wheels

Well, when I first got my cougar I didn't know the wheels were supposed to be black.  So I cleaned and scrubbed them to the point they have this black spotted grey look. 

Does anyone here have a good picture and advice for how I can re-black my wheels?

It's time to get the Cougar up together again.  Why not start at the very bottom.

thanks

Reply #1
Do you have any pics of the wheels.I didn't even know that wheels came black from the factory.I've seen a lot of people paint their wheels black,just not from the factory that way.Duplicolor makes wheel paint that really works great.I used a self etching primer,then the paint,then the clear made for wheels.It turned out great,although by the instructions,it states that it takes about 7 days for the paint to fully cure.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
I actually can't any pictures of my car but i did find this other photo on the internet.  I have a brochure someplace and am pretty sure the wheels looked like this.

Reply #3
Yeah,I've seen that,but was pretty sure that was done by the owner.Either way,clean the wheels really good,scuff sand the areas to be painted with a sctotchbrite pad,clean them again,tape off the areas that you don't want painted,a little self etching primer,let it dry for a while,a couple of light coats of the desired wheel paint color,let it dry for an hour or two,a clear coat,let it dry,bolt them on the car.
 Be patient and take your time.Use an exacto knife or straight razor blade to trim the tape.Patience can be the difference between a nice finish and .
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Eric would know better than I do, but I believe colour-keyed wheels were part of the '88 XR7 package...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Yes, that's true. The 1988 XR7 was available in either white, red or black, and color-keyed matching wheels were standard. The silver (argent) wheels were optional.

As a veteran of many 15" turbine rim paintings, all I can say is, be very patient. :)

Use your existing black paint as a "primer" for the new paint. In other words, don't sand all the black paint off, just knock down the shine. I second Vinnie's observation and recommend the red Scotch-Brite pads for scuffing up the surface. After cleaning all surfaces with wax/grease remover or Simple Green, tape off all the areas that you don't want painted. That's going to take the most time, and the radiused corners on the fins don't help much, but fortunately 3M makes fine line tapes that will greatly help make corners and also cover the finned parts quickly. Just take your time. Be careful when/if using knife blades as they can mar the machined finish easily.

Paint-wise, I'm a big fan of Krylon spray paint, but any good quality paint will do. Do I recommend wheel paint? Yes. Caliper paint? HECK YES. Caliper paint resists the embedding of brake dust, and usually has a nice, shiny finish when dry. Wheel paint is similar, but caliper paint is more extreme. I used VHT caliper paint on my SN95 spindles and hands down, it was among the best spray paints I've ever used. Excellent coverage, and it really goes on heavy. Remember, the paint is going into the krinkled sections of the wheels, so it's meant to be rough anyhow. Caliper paint usually does not require a clear coating; read the label on the can to verify.

The center caps, you need to be a bit more gentle there. The green Scotch-Brite pad is recommended as it's less abrasive. Here you want a regular gloss spray paint. Clearcoating is optional.

A good auto paint supply store will have all the materials listed, or you could shop online, although spray paint is considered hazardous material and must be drop-shipped UPS ground. You'll pay a lot extra for that. It may be a lot cheaper to buy locally instead.

Now that takes care of the black sections...how is the finish on the rest of the rims? Is the factory clearcoat on the machined parts still intact, or has it split or chunked away?

Reply #6
Thanks everyone

I tried to post a pic of my car, but I couldn't get it to be the proper size.  Thanks for the tips and I think I can start on my winter project now.  The tips here, and the bravery shown on Project Evolution has shown me it is possible to fix one of these up.

Once again, thanks.

Reply #7
Quote from: rg171352;244110
Thanks everyone

I tried to post a pic of my car, but I couldn't get it to be the proper size.  Thanks for the tips and I think I can start on my winter project now.  The tips here, and the bravery shown on Project Evolution has shown me it is possible to fix one of these up.

Once again, thanks.

You may want to get a photobucket account. You'll be able to resize and edit pics. just copy the link from the picture, and past it in the area for inserting pics in a post. Btw, the first pic shows up only as a clickable link unless your in the advanced window to post.

Eric is right.  88s had the color option on wheels and matching side mouldings.

I suppose there's two ways to paint the wheels.

1. Prep the wheels and tape off the silver areas that you just painted. Paint the black,then clear the whole wheel. (sometimes you will get paint bleeding under the tape if the tape isn't stuck good)

2. paint everything black, then sand and the silver area using a small block. and repaint the outer silver with a very small and fine nap roller and brush. being very careful not to get it on the black. Then clear everything.

it's all going to depend on the condition of the wheel and the paint that's left on them.
You can just go all silver too. which is the easiest way to go

I'm also glad you like my little project. ;)
Where in NY are you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
Did you refinish that wheel?  It looks dang nice.
Mike

Reply #9
Kitz Kat did that one
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
Are those turbines going on your cat Jeddy?That wheels looks great.Other than my Cobra R wheels,the turbines are the only ones I like.I have a set of 20th anniversary wheels outside.A little curb rash on a couple,but good enough to take the car for paint in.

Reply #11
Yep, I washed a lot of dishes to buy those. LOL
That was the one with a little scuff on it too. The others are nicer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
 XR7s i got some red wheels to go on my wrecked T-Bird to roll it off as a parts car. I say repaint them whatever color you want that would go well with the clor of your car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #13
Hey
Thanks for all of your responses, and sorry it took so long for me to get back on here.

Is the photo I posted earlier about right on the wheel color/ painted areas?

Although this is probably the last part of my car that needs work, I am at ease with this knowledge.  I think I may practice first on an extra couple of the turbine wheels I've been saving.

Your "little" project is amazing and I like it a lot.  I was planning on buying a clean 6 cyl cougar to do a similar thing to my car, but unfortunately the owner took too long to decide to sell it.  It took me about 4 years to find a good set of doors for it.  While I was busy looking the rest of the car started to rot out from under me.

I'm from downstate.

Reply #14
WOW that black cat you found that pic of is shagy. What was he thinkin....guy at the local late night hangout told me white letter tires wouldn't be good on my kitty. HELL NAW I'm gettin em alright. Tires are about shot, needs em come spring...oh yeah...that'll look sick.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane