Skip to main content
Topic: Sn-95 T-5 swap behind 3.8 Cougar/Bird How To. (Read 28838 times) previous topic - next topic

Sn-95 T-5 swap behind 3.8 Cougar/Bird How To.

Reply #30
just got a chance too read through the thread...gongrats guys...awesome work!
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #31
Quote from: darkthunder
ooo nice. it looks stock minus the shifter. looks like your parking brake works too. *envies* :D
That shifter is off of a probe.  It was the only thing that would screw on.  I'm going to get a bullit shifter  for it.  I'm going to get a nice shifter for it as well.And yes my parking brake works.  Every time I'm under the car I spray lubricant on the cables and bell crank assembly.
One 88

Reply #32
well is the 87 and older 3.8 a 28.5 inbalance? should be able to use the 351 flywheel. I see that the 3.8 has a 11 inch disc. isn't that what they used in the 351 truck?

Reply #33
Quote from: TCclone
well is the 87 and older 3.8 a 28.5 inbalance? should be able to use the 351 flywheel. I see that the 3.8 has a 11 inch disc. isn't that what they used in the 351 truck?

No, it isn't a 28.5oz imbalance. Ford has used several different imbalances on 164 tooth flywheels.

Reply #34
Also the 351 flywheel will not bolt up to the 3.8 right Jeremy?
One 88

Reply #35
Hey, Claude, how is going the living with the car now ? you can tell us some "driving impressions", how the 3.8 responds to a T-5, how high you change gears, the torque things, how feels in Overdrive, etc...
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #36
Stupid question: is that the automatic console trim cover?  No interference problems with it and a manual tranny?
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #37
Nice job on the swap. I'd try and do something about that big crack in the firewall though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #38
Pro-Five-oh :  Yes its off an auto, It doesn't hit anywhere.

Dogcharmer :  There isn't a crack on the firewall, probably one of the shadows making it look that way.

Mex Cougar and others :  The car drives 100% better.  I don't find myself having to downshift to climb hills anymore.  The car just feals more powerfull.  Only problem is having the auto computer, I described the problem in another thread with more detail.  I've actually not shortend my driveshaft yet, and I'm starting to think I don't have too.  What I previously though was a noise coming from my U-joints is actually an effect of my bad motor mounts.  the shifter base is actually moving over and rubbing the transmission tunnel.  New motor mounts will fix this.  I don't have a tach in my car yet, I'm working on that.  I drive by the sound of the engine right now.  Gas milage is a bit better too.
One 88

Reply #39
Quote from: CougarSE
Pro-Five-oh :  Yes its off an auto, It doesn't hit anywhere.

Excellent.  Good to know the trim plates are interchangable.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #40
Hey sup New to this site... Got a question for anybody who wants to reply... Question is I have an 84 thunder bird and I wanted to know what would be the best engine to put in it and what tricks I could do to make it go faster?  and If possible could I run nitrious through that?

Reply #41
Quote from: 84_T-Bird
Hey sup New to this site... Got a question for anybody who wants to reply... Question is I have an 84 thunder bird and I wanted to know what would be the best engine to put in it and what tricks I could do to make it go faster?  and If possible could I run nitrious through that?

What exactly does this have to do with swapping a T5 behind a 3.8?

Reply #42
I cannot believe you tainted my thread.........ugh
One 88

Reply #43
You should send this Step by Step to Eric at Coolcats and get him to set it up in the tech area. Very worth while information for long term use!

--Ed
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Reply #44
Sorry if this comes off sounding like a twit, but can you fix the pictures?   

And do you have any additional information on interchangibility between AOD flywheel vs C5 flywheel?