Skip to main content
Topic: Paint on moldings (Read 2923 times) previous topic - next topic

Paint on moldings

I’ve been getting some paint estimates and I’m getting some flack about wanting to paint the black moldings to match the body color at almost every shop.

I’ve been told repeatedly that the paint won’t stick, and that first time someone hits it with a door it will crack and start to flake off?

What am I missing here?  I know that many folks on here have painted these moldings.  Have you experienced these problems?

Re: Paint on moldings

Reply #1
That's because moldings are a paint shop's worst nightmare. To do the job right they should be removed...but that severely warps the aluminum strips that keep the molding straight. Then the shop workers have to get the adhesive off the door---another messy, tedious, miserable job. Ditto for getting the adhesive off the moldings. Then they have to scuff up the molding, which with our cars, can be very time-consuming. After prep and paint, they can do reinstallation while hopefully getting the molding on straight and fixing/eliminating the aluminum strips. Keeping track of 10 pieces of molding is something a lot of shops simply don't want to do.

It's also a well-known fact that body shops only use flex additive in the clearcoat when absolutely necessary. I would guess at least half the time (if not more), they don't put the additive in the paint for bumper covers. It's a "cost-saving" thing for them, when in reality it really doesn't save much money at all, and there's always the chance a customer will get cracks and need repairs. I've seen this done many times.

So, to answser your questions, you CAN get them painted. The paint WILL stick if the surface is prepped correctly. They can paint the moldings on the car too, without removal, if that makes things easier. And as long as you insist on them putting the flex additive in the clearcoat, then you shouldn't have any cracking or chipping problems. Just remember that molding=labor, and that's what they'll charge you for.

Reply #2
Got it.

Thanks Eric.

You know, we don't really need this site after all.  Just give us all your home, work and cell numbers and we can just call when we have a question.

Deal?

Reply #4
Quote from: EricCoolCats
LOL! Don't you wish...I have to have a life sometime, you know. ;)

I thought you forfeit that when you buy a fox body. :banana:

Reply #5
I’ve been told repeatedly that the paint won’t stick, and that first time someone hits it with a door it will crack and start to flake off?

Kinda funny being as the 88 XR7s came with painted mouldings from the factory. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
Removing the body trim and tape isn't too hard if you have the right tools. I was in a body shop for a while and to remove the trim we used what looked like (might have been) an air powered windsheild knife to cut the molding from the body without bending it up, then we had an air powered angle grinder with a rubber wheel on it which took the rest of the foam tape and pinstriping off and if used carefully wouldnt even damage the paint.

I cant see why painting the trim would be such a problem, not like it flexes that much on the vehicle, Ive seen urethane bumpers last years without cracking with regular paint so if the surface is prepped properly there shouldnt be a problem

I'm thinking the bodyshop you inquired at doesn't want your business or dont think they could do a proper job of it and is trying to make excuses not to do it, just ask around and find a place that has done it before and get peoples opinions on their work. Nothing worse than spending your hard earned money on something and not being satisfied with it

Hey Eric I had a look at the pages about your convertable, Awesome story never realised all the work you put into it  :headbang:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #7
Quote from: tbirdscott
Hey Eric I had a look at the pages about your convertable, Awesome story never realised all the work you put into it  :headbang:

That's just the stuff I remember.  :D

Reply #8

i painted mine myself

it is flaking off the nose a bit, because i used a cheap primer like an idiot
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #9
sand 'em with 600grit then apply adhesion promoter(available at auto paint supplier)then primer then paint, preferably with flex agent but as was said earlier the moldings don't flex enough to warrant this but bumpers do.