Skip to main content
Topic: Front 5 lug disk question  (Read 1056 times) previous topic - next topic

Front 5 lug disk question

The person that used to sell direct replacement 5 lug front disks doesn't seem to sell them anymore.  I tried the SN95 conversion, but the rims I want wouldn't fit.

Will this disk work for a V8 1987 Cougar XR7 or can you suggest a better route?

I want to change as little hardware as possible and still be able to use old school chrome rims.  I'm currently using 15x7 Chrome blade rims.  Mine are Cragar, but they don't sell them anymore.

Re: Front 5 lug disk question

Reply #1
That link from LMR is for 11" front rotors, you have 10".

Complete Brake Service from Columbus, OH seems to have a new website:
https://www.completebra48887801-246977.hibustudio.com

You may need to call and confirm that they still carry the 10" 5-lug Fox rotors.

The only other solutions I've seen to get 5-lug is to shave down a Ranger rotor (10.25") or try a Mazda MPV front rotor.

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick response.  I appreciate the info.

Reply #3
83-88 Ranger front rotors are available at almost any parts store and if not they can get them in a day or two.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
83-88 Ranger front rotors are available at almost any parts store and if not they can get them in a day or two.
You still need the Ranger's wheel bearings and dustcaps, you have to machine down the hat (0.15") to clear the outboard pad, and you have to use the brake lathe to reduce the rotor diameter by at least .15".  If you're a pro mechanic, you have the facilities and equipment to do this, but if you're not, assume that NOBODY will do this for you, and the reason why they won't is liability.

Reply #5
This is from the Yellow Bullet forums and on an 85 GT Mustang which had 10" brakes.

"I had to grind the inside of the stock caliper a little to clear the ranger rotor. It's a shade larger of a rotor and rubbed the inside of the caliper around the edge of the rotor. Also had to grind the brake pads. The bottom corners of the pads because they touched the "hat" of the rotor. No major grinding. I probably took 0.040" off the inside of the caliper and maybe 0.120" off each corner of the pads.

I used the ranger races but mustang bearings. It all fit together but like I was saying....the ranger race IS a shade smaller than the mustang race. The mustang bearing fits it well enough but 1/16 of the rollers stick out because the bearing won't recess as deeply into the race."

I have seen this conversion done on the 97-93 Mustangs that were 4 bangers and there was not the issue with the outer Mustang bearing not seating fully into the outer Ranger race.  Word was that the 85 and down spindles were different but I cannot vouch for that.

This was a cheap conversion back in the day that cost about $60.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #6
The person that used to sell direct replacement 5 lug front disks doesn't seem to sell them anymore.

Are you talking about Complete Brake Service in Columbus, Ohio?

I think they had a site URL change, this should be correct:
https://www.completebra48887801-246977.hibustudio.com

Might be worth trying again to get in touch with them.