Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 70652 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #420
OK, so I think this is where the rear bars are going to wind up.

They will wind up covered in high-density foam, and my wife is going to make up some covers to match the interior. I'll probably also put some around the top of the main hoop.

I wanted to limit any crazy modifications to the interior panels, and didn't want to make them any more difficult to get back in. It was a fight to get them out with all of the old bars in place. Especially the upper section.

I was limited on how much I could bend the tubes with my low-budget bender. I wanted to turn it down a little tighter in the trunk, but just couldn't without smashing the tubes. It's like 3 small bends to get it angled down and reduce the slash cut. (4 bends in total on the bar).
Gotta notch the front and get things cleaned up for the base plate in the back.

Need to sort out the trunk battery mount and get the couple bits I need to do the relocation from the back seat.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #421
Got the passenger-side tube bent up today.

Just need to cut the rear to mate to the floor and notch the front. Then I'll get the foot plates welded up and then prep them for painting. I'm going to paint them out of the car, and then touch up the areas around the welds afterwards.

After talking to a couple people, I think the plan for the roof is to get it sealed up and smoothed out and wrap the roof of the car for the time being. I have a buddy who does it, so I just need to make sure things are prepped properly.
Some may not like the idea, but I want the car back on the road. I have other projects to work on.

Reply #422
Are you wrapping just the top, upper half(two tone) or the whole car?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #424
*sigh*

Not sure how I managed to do it, but I shattered the DS door glass while trying to fix the loose mount.
Luckily I had a spare in one of the doors I have in storage. Just need to get it pulled and transferred.

Been bouncing back and forth between this and Sadie's Bug the past week or so.

Got the rear cage bars fabbed up. Just need to get the paint and get them into the car. Just going to pick up some of the 2K aerosol stuff in the 1Q paint code.

Need to get my battery relocation stuff ordered so I can wrap that up. I thought about moving it back under the hood, but I just don't have a place for it now.

Speaking of wrap, I need to also finish up the bullet hole patching so I can get with my buddy to have the top of the car wrapped.

Reply #425
Well that sucks man. I’ve had to replace one window in my 83 and one in the 85 TC (long ago sold) and both were from thieves that didn’t believe the red blinking led in the dash.

Are the door glass on these cars no longer made? Only ask is I know where a 85/86 car is that I could pull the windows out of if needed.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #426
I'm not sure if they're still made or not.

I have 4 doors, 3 fenders, a hood and header panel sitting in my storage shed at the other property. I know one set of the doors was a vent-window car, but I wasn't sure about the other.

The set of silver 83-84 doors I have has the regular full glass in them. Drug the DS door home a little while ago.  Man, these doors are heavy...

Reply #427
Sorry to see that Chuck.

Glad you have a backup though.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #428

I've had door glass in and out of the cars multiple times over the past 25-30 years...this is the first one that has exploded on me.

Got the battery relocation stuff ordered last night, so that's on the way.

Reply #429
Had a bonus hour available today.

Replacement glass installed.

Reply #430
The battery relocation kit showed up today.

My current set-up that is in the rear seat area is just using a mega-fuse as protection, but I opted to go with the dual circuit-breakers this time. It should also allow me an easier battery disconnect when the car sits for a little bit, but I plan to be driving it more moving forward.

I bought a battery box, which is kind of over-kill for the smaller Odyssey battery I have, but was trying to sort out packaging it and a full-size spare tire in the trunk.

Option 1 - Spare in the stock location and battery up on the frame

Option 2 - Spare relocated and battery in the well

Option 3 - Spare in the stock location and Odyssey up on the frame with no box

I can just cut my current Odyssey mount from the rear sear area and weld it down in the trunk.

With the box, I was going to mount the C.B. circuitry on the side of the box, but with the Odyssey, I'll mount them on a board in an accessible location.

I'm leaning towards Option 3 and saving the box for another project at the moment, as I really don't *need* a box for the Odyssey.

Reply #431
Got the battery base cut out from the old location to try out in the new one.

I think I'm going to run with Option 3 for now.

Paint is ordered and talked with my buddy about the wrap for the top.

Reply #432
100% agree with Option 3.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #433
I think all 3 look fine lol

Cant go wrong.
Mike

Reply #434
Got the C.B.'s mounted on their board.

Welded the battery tray down and mocked up the location of the C.B.'s. Should be well enough out of the way.