Skip to main content
Topic: 84 Tbird project (Read 11984 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 84 Tbird project

Reply #45
Made some more progress on the car!

First thing getting the fuel injection wiring out of the engine bay

Finished hooking up the gauges and tach. Then I installed the Grant steering wheel and floor shift column cover. The automatic floor shift shifter bezel I bought didn't fit because it's for an 85 and newer so the manual bezel stays until I can find an automatic shifter bezel for an 84.

So I found the heater core was leaking so I bypassed it for now. I also did a tune up with new Motorcraft plugs, MSD wires, Accel cap and rotor, and MSD coil.

Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #46
Today I installed the center caps and gave the Bird a bath. There's still plenty of work to do, but it's getting there.

Thunderbird 10 holes have a bird on the center caps, but I'm using the center caps from the Mustang parts car so they have the Ford oval. I already have them and the Thunderbird is a Ford so they're good enough for me lol.

Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

Reply #47
I noticed you mentioned the shifter bezel didn’t fit? I never knew they were different in the 83/84 cars? Curious what the difference is.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #48
I noticed you mentioned the shifter bezel didn’t fit? I never knew they were different in the 83/84 cars? Curious what the difference is.

The 83-84 are straight across the interface with the dash/center console. The 85-88 ones have a slight angle.

Also, I don't think many/any 83-84 auto cars were floor-shift.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #49
I've swapped them, they were all used junkyard stuff so who knows if they were original or not. But I pulled a full 83 console with the lights in the side then used my 87 console bits because they were nicer.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #50
Got the buffer out and hit the paint with polishing compound today.

Matt

Reply #51
Car is coming along nicely. Good to see a 4 eye take on a new life. Lol
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #52
Looking back on your post about the shifter bezel. I’m curious if the bezel from an AOD Mustang (87-93) could work or made to work with the Tbird console part?If I remember correctly the bezel piece can be removed separately from the console piece. I looked at a few pictures and they look close? I think those were installed from the top. Just a thought.
 S O L D

Reply #53
I replaced the Mac H pipe this weekend because it wouldn't seal at the headers because the s aren't right. The holes for the studs are too narrow so you have to grind the holes out to get them to bolt on. But even then it still leaks so I got a Jegs H pipe, which is similar to a BBK and put it on. It didn't wanna line up at first, but I kept working with it and got it to bolt up and no leaks!

I tapped the smog pump tube and plugged it with a 3/8 pipe plug.

Looking back on your post about the shifter bezel. I’m curious if the bezel from an AOD Mustang (87-93) could work or made to work with the Tbird console part?If I remember correctly the bezel piece can be removed separately from the console piece. I looked at a few pictures and they look close? I think those were installed from the top. Just a thought.

I can say that it will work or at least part of it. The shifter bezel from an 87-93 auto is two pieces the plastic part that snaps on the console and a rubber bezel seal. I decided to try using the Mustang bezel seal with the Thunderbird bezel so I ordered a new bezel seal from LMR. I just took the bezel off and sat the Mustang bezel seal on the shifter and put the Thunderbird bezel back on. It did a pretty good job of filling the gap between the shifter and the Thunderbird bezel so I'm gonna call it good.

I also installed my Pioneer speakers. They're a huge improvement over the 35 year old factory speakers!

Matt

Reply #54
This weekend we started work on the next project for the Thunderbird. Since it's starting to get warm we're getting the a/c going!

But before we can put a/c on the car we gotta deal with the leaking heater core so me and Dad tackled it. We also replaced the blower motor while we had the heater box out.

The sleeves on the seat belt receptacles were trashed so while I had the seats out I replaced them with receptacles from a 1986 Mustang that have new sleeves from LMR. They fit on the Tbird seats pretty well. You'll also need the receptacle bolt from the Mustang and just put it through the other direction and bolt it to the Tbird seat.

Matt

Reply #55
Installed the a/c compressor and hoses, and ran hoses to the heater core today. After that we pulled a vacuum on the system to boil it out. Next is charging the a/c and hopefully there will be cold air!

Matt

Reply #56
Great work!!! You have really been busy with this car. I gotta get a new a/c system done in my car eventually. Impressive work, keep it up.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #57
You have brought the car a long way. Really nice work. I’m curious if halo head rest will work with your seats?  I’ve always liked the halos and have them in my sport seats.
 S O L D

Reply #58
You have brought the car a long way. Really nice work. I’m curious if halo head rest will work with your seats?  I’ve always liked the halos and have them in my sport seats.
I put them on my 88 base seats, I don't see why they wouldn't work on those base seats.  As far as I know. lol
Mike

Reply #59
Finished up the a/c yesterday. First off, I needed to bypass the WOT cutout relay to get power to the cycling switch. Since the ECM partially controls the a/c, and it's in the dark about what the engine is doing, it won't send power to the cycling switch through the relay. No big deal just gotta remember to turn the a/c off before I hammer it. After that I added oil and freon. It was 98 here yesterday and it was blowing high 40s out the vents so I'm happy.

Matt