Skip to main content
Topic: New Addition (Read 11395 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Addition

Reply #75
Ditched the old ratty hood liner that was falling apart as well.  This is a glue on style one ... hopefully it holds up and doesn't sag.  The cat head logo is just a sticker that was added after install.
Looks good!  I didn't know there was a glue on option.  Did you have to cut to fit or did you buy a certain one that is close?
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #76
Car looks great. It will definitely be a nice cruiser. What wheels are you gonna go with? 10 holes would give it that’ factory look . I think white ( or black)mesh wheels would complement the car really well but they are such a pain to keep clean.

Thanks!  Haven't made any firm decisions on the wheels yet.  The car had the original spoke hub caps on it and I originally replaced those with some beat up factory 10 holes.  I have a set of pony wheels on it now.  They'll probably stay until everything else is addressed and she's back on the road.

Reply #77
Ditched the old ratty hood liner that was falling apart as well.  This is a glue on style one ... hopefully it holds up and doesn't sag.  The cat head logo is just a sticker that was added after install.
Looks good!  I didn't know there was a glue on option.  Did you have to cut to fit or did you buy a certain one that is close?

The hoodliner I used was from a company called Duque Hoodliners: https://www.hoodliners.net/product/1987-1988-thunderbird-cougar-v6-v8-/47?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=18

The material is some type of airline firewall material ... more of a thick, pliable foam than the factory insulation.  It still mounts using all of the factory spots and retaining clips but they recommend using a specific heat rated 3M spray adhesive to keep it attached to the hood.  If you don't, it will sag in the areas where there are no clips.  It's kinda cool though ... once glued down it looks like it is molded to the underside of the hood.

Reply #78
Here's a few of the upgrades/mods that I've added as well.  Replaced the stock exhaust manifolds with SN95 3.8L factory shorty headers, fox Cobra brake booster and master cylinder, Maximum Motorsport caster/camber plates, 3 row aluminum radiator with new edge Cougar (Contour) electric fan, MN12 3G alternator, and PA Performance mini starter. 

Reply #79
I got the driveshaft reinstalled and buttoned up a few more things underneath ... she's got a ways to go yet, but we got all four on the floor for the first time in a long time. :headbang:

Reply #80
Just a suggestion but you may want to wrap the starter wires in header tape.  I was having starting issues with my Coupe and the wires were routed a good ways from the BBK shorties.  I ended up pulling the wiring harness I built out and it was hard from the heat embrittlement.  Built a new harness and wrapped it in header tape from OReillys and used the stainless steel ties and its been good ever since.  Did this on the clutch cable on both cars as well due to melting the one on the T-Bird with the 1-7/8" headers on the 351W.

Car is looking amazing by the way.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #81
Just a suggestion but you may want to wrap the starter wires in header tape.  I was having starting issues with my Coupe and the wires were routed a good ways from the BBK shorties.  I ended up pulling the wiring harness I built out and it was hard from the heat embrittlement.  Built a new harness and wrapped it in header tape from OReillys and used the stainless steel ties and its been good ever since.  Did this on the clutch cable on both cars as well due to melting the one on the T-Bird with the 1-7/8" headers on the 351W.

Car is looking amazing by the way.

Thanks, good to know!  I haven't finished the wiring yet, just loosely run.  I put the wires in loom and have it routed using the factory engine bracket ... but yeah, it's close to the exhaust and I can see how that would be a problem.  Gotta figure if heat sink is an issue for the original style starters ... it's gonna be an issue for the wiring.