Skip to main content
Topic: Center console trim gray, what is the paint code? (Read 10022 times) previous topic - next topic

Center console trim gray, what is the paint code?

Reply #15
That makes sense to me. The console lid would also be Raven to match the leather-wrapped steering wheel (and if so equipped, the leather-wrapped automatic floor shifter handle).

So I think we have a winner with Raven. I might go to the paint store over the weekend and get some mixed up and put into a spray can. Then dig out some NOS pieces and compare a painted piece to an original. Stay tuned for photos...

(And for those unfamiliar with the 'brown' trim option...for at least 1985-86, the pieces that would have been Raven—like the steering wheel, column cover, radio and instrument cluster bezel, etc.—were a brown color instead of Raven only on cars with the Sand Beige interior. Apparently Ford felt that the Raven clashed too much with the tan so they created a dark Clove Brown finish to soften the look. But then they switched to Raven in 1987 with Sand Beige so go figure. To this day, Clove Brown trim panels are very, very difficult to find so if you see them, pick them up and hold onto them.)

Reply #16
Well this worked out surprisingly well.

Eric if it works let us know the paint manufacture/paint code. Thanks!
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #17
EricCoolCats

So I think we have a winner with Raven. I might go to the paint store over the weekend and get some mixed up and put into a spray can. Then dig out some NOS pieces and compare a painted piece to an original. Stay tuned for photos...

I was wishing I still had the tints and toners to mix DuPont vinyl to do this. I was thinking about spraying a dark smoke and a raven to see the difference in the two. I still think the darker color on top of those dashes is dark smoke, unless they are raven and just that faded.

Reply #18
The darker dash tops could all be a darker version of the lower color ... charcoal gets a dark charcoal top, smoke gets dark smoke, so on and so forth.  But you might be splitting hairs to tell the difference between dark charcoal, dark smoke, and raven ... especially once you throw in any amount of fade over the years ... could be very minute.  Regardless of the dash top though, I think all of the trim pieces used the same gray from 85-88.

Reply #19
Quote from: bodyman;461412
I was wishing I still had the tints and toners to mix DuPont vinyl to do this. I was thinking about spraying a dark smoke and a raven to see the difference in the two. I still think the darker color on top of those dashes is dark smoke, unless they are raven and just that faded.

You might be correct about that. According to the charts, my '86 with Canyon Red interior had a Raven dash top. But it never seemed that dark. Unfortunately it's painted over now but it sure seemed more like a dark charcoal than anything. But I still have some original dash pieces that I can dig up and compare.

It does seem like DuPont had a lot more accurate information about everything. They give paint codes for things that I've never found through PPG. Maybe DuPont was the OEM supplier. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of cross-shopping for paint where I live...it's PPG or nothing, and it's not like the paint sucks, it's awesome. But now we're looking at missing codes for one brand of paint. And I cannot easily verify DuPont paint codes or test samples. But hell, we've made progress just in this thread alone so maybe I'll just stop and be thankful for what we've got. ;)

Reply #20
I will scan in the 83-86 interior DuPont charts I have next week sometime. Take the DuPont codes with you, they may be able to cross reference them to a PPG code.

Reply #21
Alright, I had a semi-successful run to the auto paint store. They are mixing the interior paint at one location, then shipping it to another to have it put in an aerosol can. I'll get it early next week to actually spray it and see what we've got.

After taking the sample books out in the sun and comparing it to 3 random 1985-88 interior panels (one of which is NOS), I'm about 98% confident we have a winner with Raven.

PPG - 9520

This color is sometimes listed as a truck interior color (Raven), and sometimes listed as just Black amongst other black shades, but the 9520 and 9612 codes consistently came up from 1985-88. Also, the two numbers were for low gloss and semi gloss, but again, those switched around from year to year. Just like the dealer books, everything was chaos up until 1985, and once we got to 1986 things were a lot more informative and orderly.

So there we go. I'll get pix of the sprayed panel (before and after) along with a side-by-side comparison with the NOS piece for reference.

Assuming this is all correct, the next step is to try and find the same or equivalent color in a commercially-available spray can (SEM, Duplicolor, etc.) for ease of use and widespread availability. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now I'm doing a very small, tightly-controlled victory dance. ;)

Reply #22
Awesome. The two local PPG guys mix spray cans on site so, if this is the correct color, it will be easy for me to get it made.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #23
Awesome.  As you said, if we have a match, trying to find the closest SEM (or other) commercially available spray can would be great.

Reply #24
Any update Eric?

Reply #26
Cool.

Reply #27
Got the paint. Results below.

I picked a nondescript, typical 1985-88 interior panel for an example. This is the rear ash tray for cars with consolettes. It's seen better days:

After prepping, two coats of the new Raven interior paint:

So far so good.
Comparison with other, stock interior panels. One is the column cover, the other is an NOS floor shifter bezel:

Another view:

These photos were taken at high noon on July 3rd so there's no mistaking the high sun angle.

I'm led to believe that this is indeed the correct interior color and finish. We have a winner with Raven.

Reply #28
Thanks Eric!

I'll get the local paint shop to mix me up PPG-9520 in a spray can.

Reply #29
Sweet!  Thanks for leg work on this one, problem solved.