Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 70642 times) previous topic - next topic

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #30
Quote from: Chuck W;195500
It rained NY's Eve.  It snowed NY's Day though...and yes, they were not shy with the salt.  All we got was a dusting, so there is more salt on the road than snow.

50* and rain here Sunday. Maybe the salt will go away :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #31
Yeah we had a day last week where it rained all friggin night and most of the morning...lightly. Then it poured later. The next day the roads were CLEAN. Took the cougar and the 38 out for a loooong drive. Now both kinds of white stuff are everywhere again. :hick:

(sheesh do we OVERUSE the hell out of that icon or what!?)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #32
Yeah we had a day last week where it rained all friggin night and most of the morning...lightly. Then it poured later. The next day the roads were CLEAN. Took the cougar and the 38 out for a loooong drive. Now both kinds of white stuff are everywhere again. 

We had the same thing here, but they started salting in the rain towards evening so it wouldn't freeze in case the temp. dropped

So the next day it was like driving in a salt spray from the car in front of you.

They're crazy with that stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #33
Uh, wow. WTF thaaaaaat's bs. Now I know how bad it is out there. Makes what we deal with here look like nothin! Sheesh.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #34
still sporting the turbo 4 then. I popped over to see if the conversion was complete. I'm still thinking that might be the road I take. I love 4 eyed fords, I love t-birds, I love ford i-6's... can't go wrong! hehe.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #35
Quote from: Funky Cricket;203161
still sporting the turbo 4 then. I popped over to see if the conversion was complete. I'm still thinking that might be the road I take. I love 4 eyed fords, I love t-birds, I love ford i-6's... can't go wrong! hehe.

Yup, I wanted the car to be running for a bit.  I've gotten as far as stripping the I6 block and getting ready to do the mods on it, but my daily needs rear brakes and the Scorpio needs the rear suspension done before I proceed any further.

I didn't want the car to be down for another year while I messed with the conversion.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #36
it's no fun to not drive your car!
I "carless" at the moment, but I've been thinking on it alot, as I hope to be in a position to buy a toy in 2009. So I want to have a plan in place.

I'm back to thinking a bird with a i6, instead of a capri or falcon.. the birds are just to comfy...

maybe a 250 and then i'll save up for one of mike's heads and then maybe do an EFI multi-port conversion... hmm... that'd be a head turner! Or bring in a falcon 4.0, but then I'd have to ship away for any parts and I don't think the t5 bolts to that without a conversion ring on the bell housing.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #37
Well a little bit of good and bad today with the Tbird.  I stopped over to remount the wheels after I'd had the new tires installed.
I was greeted by a dent in the hood as I pulled the car cover off of it.  Apparently at some point within the past week or two something was dropped on the hood pretty hard.  There is a 1/2" diameter, 1/8" deep dent/divot down to the metal.  There's a corresponding cut in the cover that was on the car too.

I'm guessing my friend's kid (where the car is stored at the moment) or one of this friends had an "accident".  She asked him and he had no idea.

I'm not sure if they can spot fix it or whether the hood will have to be reshot.  Not much I can really do other than get it fixed.

Other than that issue I fired it up for the first time in 4 months and let it warm up.  The weather has been py the past few days, so it will be another few before I can get it out and drive it.  Of course last weekend was beautiful.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #38
Well I talked to my paint guy today.  He's saying probably $250-ish to fix it.  Joy.

On a brighter note, the weather looks to be good the next 2-3 days, so I'm planning on going over tomorrow and grabbing the car and drive it, give it a bath and hopefully fiddle with the tune a little.  I'll take it back to storage by Fri though as the rains are supposed to come back.

I do have on order a little item that will add a minor visual tweak that I have been wanting to do for a while and have finally located the proper specimen.  I'll post up picks when I have them in hand and in place.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #39
Well I stopped and picked up the car today. :D

I need to relearn how to drive it, as the boost comes on like a frieght train at about 2600-2800rpm and just takes off.  Hopefully I'll get some time to fiddle with the tune a bit the next couple days to work on smoothing things out.

I drove the '80 over to stick in it's place thinking I was going to have to fight the carb the whole way...however it decided to behave today. 

Got to drive both the Foxes today :hick:

I'll post up a couple new pics tonight...but the car is FILTHY!

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #40
Sucks about the dent but glad to hear you drove it. It's been a long winter...I'm sure it was worth the wait. The atmospheric gods were with you. :)

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #41
Yeah, the air is still a bit cool, but the sun is out and the skies are clear. 

As I was pulling away from the first stop sign, the tires were still slimy from being new.  As soon as the boost came on ever so slightly the car went sideways.  There was some guy coming up behind me in a convert SN-95 V8....he decided to keep his distance. :hick:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #42
Quote from: Chuck W;214074

I need to relearn how to drive it, as the boost comes on like a frieght train at about 2600-2800rpm and just takes off. 

you runnin a .48 or .63 hotside on that turbo?

man am i jealous......
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #43
.63 A/R with a GN cold side.

I think the exhaust has a bit to do with that as well.

I was kind of surprised myself.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #44
I know what you mean about the boost comin on like a freight train, my turbo is set up like yours in my 85.(T3/T4, .63 AR)

I just had to comment because I just got back my turbo today after I blew the rear carbon seal on it
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]