Skip to main content
Topic: Poncho's (Read 1544 times) previous topic - next topic

Poncho's

Anyone on here know of any issues on the early 80's Grand Prix? I know of someone whos selling one cheap, and the body is in great condition. He says he thinks it needs a new carb cause its a PITA to get started when its cold. Curious if theres anything I should check for before I get it.

I know this is a Ford site but all the Pontiac sites I looked at seemed to be geared more towards G8's and what-not.

P.S. Dont worry the 'Bird still has priority. I just need something to replace my truck.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Poncho's

Reply #1
They're probably like anything else.It depends on the history of the car and how well it was taken care of (or not taken care of).Carbs are an easy swap.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Poncho's

Reply #2
The car was maintained pretty well and the last time saw it running it sounded good (no misses or ticks). Only reason he's selling is so he can replace the rear end in his P71.

I was mainly wondering if there were any specific issues they had, but there not much different than the Monte Carlos so it should be ok.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Poncho's

Reply #3
Rear frames tended to rot out, as did body mounts. If it's '81 or older it likely has a 301, and the 301 is a dog (even worse than the SO 5.0) but it's easy enough to find another GM powertrain to replace it...

If you buy it you'll have to keep us informed as to what it's like to have a car that's actually got aftermarket support...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Poncho's

Reply #4
As far as the rotting goes,we just don't have those problems down here.I do know that a lot of times the doors seem to hang due to worn hinges.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Poncho's

Reply #5
Didn't the old rear drive GP, Monty, Cutlass, and Regal wiggle like hell on bumpy roads as well?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Poncho's

Reply #6
i had an 80 grand prix lj, primer grey with tan interior, ttops:hick: , so305 with headers and 3 speed auto(i forget which trans). was the first car i ever bought as all my previous cars had been accuired at that time.
when my acuras brakes fell off it broke down right infront of the guys house and he felt bad and said he had a running car for sale. it had been sitting wet in the guys driveway for 8 years covered in vines and was someones saturday night special at one time, lowered in the front with slicks and all.
sold it to me for $50 bucks. even with bad gas and the ancient sludge i hesitate to call oil it started right up.
had that car for almost 2 years and the only problems i had were the brakes went to the floor, the lock cylinders in the doors were pretty much shot and the pass. door handle didnt work, brake light thing down by the pedal went and a broken axle. i wasnt used to having ttops and accidently forgot to lock one completely before i got on the highway and well it blew off and almost hit a tractor trailer:flame: after that night it officially became a beater to me.
the body wasnt all that bad rottwise like ive heard on those body cars but im sure it was there at one time and covered by the primer half-decently. doors didnt sag and the ttops didnt leak for me.
handled fine never bumpy or shakey but in the rain the bald slicks really made it a handful, so much i never drove it in the wet after the one time. with some actual tires on it im sure it wouldve rode fine wet or dry.
mechanically, its a chevy the only tools you need to fix it are a hammer and a rock.
wasnt a bad car and if i saw a decent one i wouldnt hesitate to grab it, funds permitting. lately ive noticed the prices of even the 6 cyl grand/monte carlos jumping up but most of the time i find them being parted out. i dont know much about the olds ones they always seem to go for more than i would spend on a car.

if your looking for input on a car but cant really find anything decent you can always check "carsurvey.org", very resorceful place for common problems and owner input.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Poncho's

Reply #7
watch for the frame to crack just behind the spring cups...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Poncho's

Reply #8
Mehhh... G-body mullet mobile to me :hick:

Maybe if it was a GN or regal turbo.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Poncho's

Reply #9
Well I talked to the guy about it today, and got a good look underneath it, and it all looks great. The only thing about it I'm not big on is the 2bbl 301 :yuck: .

The Good: The carb aint as bad as I thought. He said if its driven regularly he has no problems what so ever, but if it sits for a few days its a pain in the ass to start back up and usually just ends up needing a little gas in the carb to get it started. To me that sounds like a choke issue but I could be wrong. Its also a '78 so no emissions testing!

The Bad: Needs tires, but I have some in the garage that will fit, and theres a small tear in an otherwise immaculant interior. Oh and its 301 with a 2bbl. :flame:

Tomarrow I'm gonna go take it for a drive (battery was dead today) and see if its any good. Who knows maybe I'll end up owning a mullet mobile :mullet: .
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Poncho's

Reply #10
Quote from: 88FoxBird;212990
(insert mullet smilie here) . :hick:

Done :mullet:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Poncho's

Reply #11
ROFLMFAO!!! Thats great!! Post has been edited!lol
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Poncho's

Reply #12
I swear if i ever get my 78-79 TA with T-Tops i will take it straight to the wig store and get a mullet wig and wear it everytime i drive it!
1986 Cougar LS

Poncho's

Reply #13
I would do that too. I'm not sure I want one like permanently attached to my head but I'd love to be able to put it on take it off as I please, a lot of my friends would get a kick out of it :laughing:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Poncho's

Reply #14
Well I got the car last night, and got all the paperwork and tags done earlier today. The car runs great. Every once in a while its a pain to start but as long as your patient with it will fire right up and purr like a kittin. I might post up some pics of this weekend after I wash it get it looking decent.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost