Skip to main content
Topic: Thunderbird WANTED (Read 1670 times) previous topic - next topic

Thunderbird WANTED

Now that the DD is setup it's time to truly get Layla's replacement.

I want to build a 5.0/T5 83-86 TBird, ideally an 83-84. I already have 2 5.0's (though one is going into Fast-4-Cheap). This car is going to be a 100% serious drag car and will be trailered to the track.

Anything with a cage in it already would be a bonus, but I'd like to keep the initial costs in check. I think a nice, stock, 5.0 Bird with good paint is probably the best starting point.

Has to be within driving distance of SW WA.

Just putting the word out...

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #1
I thought you were ALL about the turbo 4.You've been converted haven't you?C'mon,fess up.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #2
;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #3
My love of the Turbo 4 died pushing my car home for the 3rd day in a row.

If you want a fun, stock, TBird, then yeah, a turbo-4 is OK. You want to go fast? V8. Period.

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #4
Hearing you say that brings a joyful tear to my eyes.Thanks Mike.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #5
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;191617
If you want a fun, stock, TBird, then yeah, a turbo-4 is OK. You want to go fast? V8. Period.

:beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :rolleyes:

Sounds like the easy way out ;)

Bob Myers

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #6
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;191617

I'm starting to feel the exact same way.
I can say with certainty that my current project will be the last turbo 2.3 car I will ever own. Something goes wrong with it every time I drive it. It's a total basket-case.
My love of the car's rarity is too often compromised by its penchant for leaving me stranded.

Good luck, Mike. I hope you find a nice Thunderbird to build up.
I'll keep an eye out around these parts, but I doubt you would want to transport a car from the Ohio area.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #7
it i was thinking about getting a making Twin Turbo TC for my DD and keeping my SC 5.0 for the weekends and my day off.

You can make anything fast if you get the parts got a few V8s laying around use them just like Sleeper 87 with his chevy V8. Use what you have and build on it so i say you need a V8 T-Bird to work on it sounds like.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #8
I have a roller cam 302, a flat-tappet 302, and an AMC 401 here. (OK, so I do have a 2.3T too, but I sold it and am building it right now for the customer.)

I've owned and raced nearly every motor there is (I4 N/A, I4 Turbo, Rotary N/A, V6 N/A, V8 N/A) and I just want to go fast and not spend every waking moment fixing the car. So a V8 on nitrous it will be (though Ted keeps sending me Supercharger ads...)

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #9
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;191702
I've owned and raced nearly every motor there is ...)

Make a steam-powered Birdie!!! :hick:

(401's kick ass lol)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #10
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;191702
I just want to go fast and not spend every waking moment fixing the car. So a V8 on nitrous it will be

Preach it brother:burnout:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #11
I'd opt for the 401, but that's just me. :D
1987 TC

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #12
Quote from: martin0660;191648
:beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :beatyoass: :rolleyes:

Sounds like the easy way out ;)

Bob Myers

Or he just wised up. The 2.3 is a rocken little motor no doubt. But there’s just so much you can ask of 4cyl in a 3000+ lb car.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #13
Yup. I'd rather race with a 5.0 and still have a Thunderbird then have to stoop to a "Mustang" *coughcapricough* to keep the 2.3.

Thunderbird WANTED

Reply #14
Yea but that capri of his is a mean little monster!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07