Skip to main content
Topic: Starting fresh (Read 22697 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Starting fresh

Reply #15
This is it for today. I'm going to try and wait til the other car is mobile to pull the k member out. I use try fairly loosely... I need to load it up in the truck and take it to the car wash and blow all the  off of it and my CHE arms as well. I may take a crack at the front end tomorrow. We shall see. Its almost time to put it back together.

Reply #16
Got the rear all ready to go into the red car now. I went with the Powerstop z26 kit all new pieces drilled slotted rotors carbon ceramic pads front and rear. MM braided stainless soft lines and a stainless prebent kit also. Easy peasy. Now we wait some more.

Also Heath and Andrews shock brackets

Reply #17
Looking good. Moving right along.

Reply #18
You aren't messing around.

It's amazing how fast you can hammer out some work once you've done it a few times.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #19
Oh yeah. When you have things planned out pretty well they go smooth. I had virtually everything replaced under the calico car just needed a few more pieces the front end I'm not happy about the repairs I did and in the almost 10 year build and a move I misplaced half the things I had for it that wasn't bolted down secure lol the fresh start is helping me with that. And I'm not going full retard this time. Ive missed this turd. And just want to get it out there. I'm basically the only fox bird guy in town. Theres tons of mustangs and camaros.

But with all the planning in the world you can't plan for the unpredictability of life the Silverado I pulled the car home with last week, I drove over 3 hours 1 way to get the car hauled it home blew my budget on the car (lol) and was going to borrow some wheel dollies from a buddy went to back into his driveway gave it a little gas to get over the curb and BANG....whineeee. Blew reverse. And all I can do is laugh. This turd has 260k on it so it was kind of on borrowed time. Now I get to do a tranny swap on a shiznitverado

Reply #20
You've made some progress. Nice.

Red car gonna be SEFI when it's done?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
Kind of...

Reply #22
Close ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #23
It'll work with everything I'm planning on doing. 250 to 1200hp compatible with a single stage wet system and up to 25psi of boost self tuning and very adaptive.

Edit: I dont intend to make 1200 horse or shoehorn 25 psi down its throat or spray it like it was on fire. I just want the ability to do so if I wish to. The fact that it will work with the factory fuel system 225lph pump and a couple feet of -6an line internally regulated I should be good up to 400 horse for now then 5.8 swap it and shoot for 600 with maybe a 150 shot and a procharger waaaaaay down the road. The 5.slow in the car will tide me over til I get the calicos engine up to snuff then swap it all over this winter and be ready to play next summer. Aluminum headed 302 t5 fitech and possibly a 100 shot (respectively)

Reply #24
Nice find Clayton, looks like a fun project.  :like:
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #25
Thankya! Progress is going to slow down a little bit due to the holiday and family get togethers and going back to work Monday that and I have to redirect some of the car fund into a truck payment. Didn't feel like searching for a good 4l60e in a boneyard or putting a reman one in my white truck.. Just flat out didnt want to do it all the way around. So I picked up a slightly newer one relatively cheap to get me around for a while.

The fuel level sender came in so now the tank is almost ready to go back in I might get to it Sunday if all goes to plan it should start hopefully.

Reply #26
Tank is in and she runs! Barely but its progress. I blew a heater hose back by the firewall, but what do ya expect out of a sitting car. Nothing spectacular can't take your foot off the throttle but I'm sure a tune up will take care of that

Reply #27
Get it running ok and do all the suspension and brakes, then worry about the engine mods. But you're making pretty quick progress as it is.

Several Mustang guys I've spoken to like the FI Tech system. There's enough info out there that you shouldn't have major problems installing or troubleshooting it.

Reply #28
Get it running ok and do all the suspension and brakes, then worry about the engine mods. But you're making pretty quick progress as it is.

Thats the plan. Hoping to do the motor and tranny swap in the fall or over the winter.

I have to order a couple more things suspension wise then it should be done underneath from a dollar bill standpoint. I need to order new control arms for the front cause in my stupidity 7 years ago I ordered forward offset control arms.. I need reverse offset to put the wheel back in the factory location. I thought it looked wierd being that far forward. Luckily the GMS k member is basically a rip off MM k member. So MM parts work with it. I'll order those and the pub then the big money is spent under the car aside from a roll of brake line.

The car is pretty much a full MM suspension car aside from the k member (again ripped from a MM design) and the CHE arms in the rear and springs.

Reply #29
Great progress, and quickly done!

Nice Jimmy too, how many miles on it?
Mike