Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 Thunderbird LX (Read 3309 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 Thunderbird LX

A few weeks ago I saw a mint looking 1987 Ford Thunderbird LX at my local cars and coffee. There was a for sale sign on the windshield so I took a photo to follow up with the owner after the show. The car was owned by an elderly woman who had recently passed away. Her family was selling the car and the house. I made an appointment to drive the car a few days later. With only 26k original miles it drove perfectly. All the electronics worked perfectly and you could tell she really cared about the car.

After a short discussion with my wife about how we needed to buy it even though we already have a 65 Mustang, I made an offer and picked it up a few hours later.

Here it is in the driveway before I drove it home:

After getting a few blocks away, the car started chiming at me. A few tense seconds later I realized that she had set the speed warning at 25MPH!

After the uneventful drive home:

The trunk had all sorts of blankets and california dusters:

In the spare tire area was a pair of coveralls for changing tires without ruining your outfit

Tucked into the garage:

[/url

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eoVbKo]

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #1
As I was looking through the owners manual I noticed a piece of paper folded up in the holding case. It turned out to be the original window sticker

She really went all out with the options!

It is in really nice shape:

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #2
Not many LX cars came with leather !

Interesting, 5.0, console but it doesn't appear to be an LX sport !

I like it !

Enjoy
Original 1988 Cougar XR7 owner 200,000 miles and counting.

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #3
Wow, She's a beauty!  Congratulations!
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #4
Quote from: Muttwood;468618
Not many LX cars came with leather !

Interesting, 5.0, console but it doesn't appear to be an LX sport !

I like it !

Enjoy
  I ordered a Marti report so it will be interesting to see what that says

Quote from: Mikey97D;468619
Wow, She's a beauty!  Congratulations!
  thanks!

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #5
very nice car.  good score!
Mike

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #6
Nice. Keep it clean.

FYI: In 87 you could order a LX with sport seats and a floor shift. Sport seats were not available in an 87 Sport though. In 88 you could only get the sport seats and floor shifter in the Sport and Turbo Coupe. Apparently Ford realized it was silly to put sport seats in the LX and not the Sport.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #7
That's the first factory floor shift 3.8L car I've seen.
It's Gumby's fault.

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #8
Quote from: thunderjet302;468655
Nice. Keep it clean.

FYI: In 87 you could order a LX with sport seats and a floor shift. Sport seats were not available in an 87 Sport though. In 88 you could only get the sport seats and floor shifter in the Sport and Turbo Coupe. Apparently Ford realized it was silly to put sport seats in the LX and not the Sport.

Wow, I had never realized that. neat bit of trivia and very strange on Fords part.

Also, very nice find! Congrats!
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #10
Its wild to me that the preferred equipment package cost almost triple the upgrade to the 5.0

The Marti report said it was only one of 206 87s with this paint and trim code.

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #11
Quote from: Tbird232ci;468664
That's the first factory floor shift 3.8L car I've seen.

I've actually seen an 87 LX 3.8 that was black with a raven interior (i.e. like a Turbo Coupe) and a floor shifter. Factory equipped that way (it was at a car show and the owner had the window sticker on display). So at least one was ordered that way, but it's extremely rare.

Actually the full length center console in my car came out of a 87 3.8 Cougar LS. Had a full console but a column shifter. Appeared to have left the factory that way.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #12
Quote from: EricCoolCats;468668
X

:mullet:

I didn't look at the other side of the window sticker...just the standard half...

Quote from: thunderjet302;468670
I've actually seen an 87 LX 3.8 that was black with a raven interior (i.e. like a Turbo Coupe) and a floor shifter. Factory equipped that way (it was at a car show and the owner had the window sticker on display). So at least one was ordered that way, but it's extremely rare.

Actually the full length center console in my car came out of a 87 3.8 Cougar LS. Had a full console but a column shifter. Appeared to have left the factory that way.

I've seen a few 88 LX 3.8 cars with the full length console but column shift. In my old 3.8 car, I used the little coin tray out of an 88 3.8 console car when I did my initial console swap. After that, I converted it to floor shift.

I have no doubt that they are out there, I just have never seen one.
It's Gumby's fault.

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #13
Any leads on where I could find a new center console latch? All the ones on ebay are for Turbo Coupes or some other trim level.

Thanks!

1987 Thunderbird LX

Reply #14
first,,
 how much did you score this for?

2nd
i have a few center consoles,, im betting i would have the latch you need so email me jcassity@frontier.com or call 304 772 3411

shawn,,
you had me doing a double take cause i never saw a CFI (87 only for this body) floor shifter car.. LOL)