Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Project XR-7 has aux power on all the time (Read 1323 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Project XR-7 has aux power on all the time

Before I get too far into this project, I need to tackle ghosts of the past.

This car had an alarm system and a "do it your self" Pioneer stereo system installed.

Now the clock is always on and both feeds to the stereo regardless of the key position.

I have removed the alarm and all traces of the wiring.

I unplugged the stereo to make sure that was not the issue.

No engine in this car as of right now, but the parts car has no engine as well and does not have this issue.

My original 88 has never had this issue.

Could a relay be stuck ?

I will keep playing with this.

My suspicion  that there is wires crossed somewhere.

Thought about changing the whole wire harness but the parts car was a digital dash so this will not work.

Any leads ?

Pun intended !X
Original 1988 Cougar XR7 owner 200,000 miles and counting.

Reply #1
use the evtm in my sig....

seems like someone might have found the color code for the clock hot at all times wire useful

Reply #2
i just hatched an idea

pull fuses till the clock display goes out.
evtm says its likely fuse 6 (memory) or fuse 8 (activates display)

the only way the clock display can be active is if fuse 6 is piggy back wired in a way that bypasses ACCY or RUN key positions.
follow / trace out the white pink.

be advised that wire color is about as confusing as the red/light blue and integrates the transmission neutral switch as well... although its not said so in the clock diagram,,, its obvious they (ford) may have parallel wire points in other diagrams.

if you have a functional memory seat module,, i am interested in buying it.,, scott 304 772 3411

Reply #3
Solved !!!

Sometimes you have to leave something alone for a few days.

X

X

The first picture is the ignition switch wire harness plug for the car with the problem.

The second is the harness on the parts car.

Do you see the difference ?

The plug on the project car is brittle and the wires are lose in the plastic plug.

When the alarm was installed, one wire was tapped.

They must have pulled it out of the socket and re-inserted it in the wrong spot.

I hope my neighbours can tolerate the parts car for a little bit longer because this car is a bit haunted by the ghosts of owners past.;)

Reply #4
jcassity, thanks for your help !

Reply #5
Reading the first post, the voices in my head all screamed in unison "ignition switch failure, don't drive the car till it's fixed!"

Then I read on, and saw you'd found it. Good job. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6