Skip to main content
Topic: Contemplating motor build (Read 4688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Contemplating motor build

Reply #15
Dead thread resurrection warning!

I’ve finally got to the point I’m going to have to do a rebuild on my original 200k mile 5.0.  It’s been using more oil and developed a coolant leak around the timing cover, so I decided to just pull and and slowly rebuild it over the next several months.  I’d like to get it reliable, as I do like to take this car on long trips to things like the Hot Rod Power Tour (if it even happens this year, thanks COVID).

Anyway, I think I’ve dialed back the idea of doing a stroker.  I don’t race the car, it’s mainly a fun cruiser at this point.  I just want something reliable that has decent power so I can half way keep up with all my buddies who have newer ‘Vettes and Mustangs.  In the past my car has had its tongue hanging out trying to keep up on road trips.  Lol.

Here’s my plan and I am open to suggestions;

Stock block bored .30
Stock crank, stock rods
Pistons??  Open to suggestions!  I’d like to see somewhere around 10.5:1
Systemax II intake
70mm throttle body
Trick flow top end kit;  https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-k525-432-370
Use my current BBK 1 5/8” shorty headers
I have a 190 Lph fuel pump (enough?) and a bbk fpr
30 lbs injectors

As far as the computer, I am really leaning towards going mega or micro squirt instead of going MAF/a stock computer.  I like the idea of tuning it myself (always wanted to learn) and being able to have lots of room for upgrades down the road.  I could see myself eventually building a 347 or something 351w based someday when I have more of a flexible budget to work with.

I’ve been preparing the car for more HP for years so I shouldn’t need to do anything else “supporting mod”-wise.  Cooling, brakes, exhaust, suspension, trans, rear ended, etc should all be covered!   Looking forward to seeing what you guys think!

'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #16
So when you take all the parts to a machine shop they will most likely have to resize the rod ends, turn the crank on the rods and mains, and hopefully you are going to have them press in new rod bolts and get new main bolts or studs.  Hopefully they will line hone the block and torque plate when cleaning the cylinders up. The they will assemble the rotating assembly with your new pistons and balance it.

Go look at a 331 or 347 rotating assembly that your stock flex plate or fly wheel will bolt to and tell me how much you are saving by NOT ??? going with a striker short block.

Sure it will not perform like it would with a better cam and induction system but you can always put a cam in it now for the better induction and it will run better than a 0.030” over 302. Save yourself the headache and just stroke it now with a game plan to upgrade the induction later. I did it with my 93 Coupe and do not regret it.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #17
So when you take all the parts to a machine shop they will most likely have to resize the rod ends, turn the crank on the rods and mains, and hopefully you are going to have them press in new rod bolts and get new main bolts or studs.  Hopefully they will line hone the block and torque plate when cleaning the cylinders up. The they will assemble the rotating assembly with your new pistons and balance it.

Go look at a 331 or 347 rotating assembly that your stock flex plate or fly wheel will bolt to and tell me how much you are saving by NOT ??? going with a striker short block.

Sure it will not perform like it would with a better cam and induction system but you can always put a cam in it now for the better induction and it will run better than a 0.030” over 302. Save yourself the headache and just stroke it now with a game plan to upgrade the induction later. I did it with my 93 Coupe and do not regret it.

My thought process was “A 306 with really good induction would outperform a stroked engine with average induction”.  I can’t afford to do both right now.  I figured I could build something more serious later on and swap the top end over onto.  I have an old tired ‘87 truck with a 302 my T-bird original short block would then go into. 

Another thought I’d had was that if I stroke it, would I not have to most likely change to 0 internal balance or 28 oz imbalance (meaning aftermarket flywheel and balancer) to make it easier/more cost effective to balance?  That was always my understanding anyways.  Again, I’m no expert just been around and listened to other dudes that have done this stuff.  I will be getting a new balancer most likely anyway.  Clutch and flywheel probably don’t have 5,000 miles on them.

We have a really good machine shop nearby, they did the machine work and put the bottom end together on the sbc in my Chevelle last winter, that I will be talking with and using for this build as well.   They build everything from stock to sprint car motors.   It’s hard to find a good small town machine shop these days!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #18
My 331 is a 50oz imbalance and builds 462 fwhp.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp