Skip to main content
Topic: New rear window - $2600! (Read 2771 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New rear window - $2600!

Reply #16
I looked on Safelite.com

For '88 - $810 heated (black molding) or chrome molding

For '87 - $329 heated, $810 chrome molding

Aren't '87-'88 the same PN?

Safelite quotes the rear glass on their site, but they were not able to find any stock when I contacted them weeks ago.

'88 heated would likely have come with the rubber molding, whereas the '87 would come without. Glass should be the same.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #17
The ol' bait and switch, or bait and nuthin'...

Reply #18
Not sure if I misheard, but I got new windshield AND rear glass installed today for a $558 total invoice. Glass looks great, as does the new molding. Supposedly last one in the Northwest!

50 miles of Thunderbird driving. About the same miles as it has seen over the last 5 years.

1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #19
On one of the Facebook groups, I saw a guy who had Safelite cut out and reseal his rear glass in an 88, and then use a universal window trim. To the untrained eye, it looked pretty good.

The 88 came with the window molding preinstalled. That's the one thing I miss about having an 87 over an 88. I hate this rear window molding.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #20
Would be interested in looking at that universal molding. Would be good moving forward as more people need replacements.

My plan right now is to stock up on all the intact ones that I can find at the junk yard (along with other rubbers, and tail lights). At $12 from the yard, a good molding would be worth storing slathered in silicone grease, wrapped in saran wrap, and in diy boxes.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #21
On one of the Facebook groups, I saw a guy who had Safelite cut out and reseal his rear glass in an 88, and then use a universal window trim. To the untrained eye, it looked pretty good.

Aren't '87-'88 the same PN?

The 88 came with the window molding preinstalled. That's the one thing I miss about having an 87 over an 88. I hate this rear window molding.

When exactly was the switch over date for the 88 cars? My September 87 built 88 has the metal rear window trim. I don't recall seeing many 88s in the yard (well back in the day when they used to be plentiful) with the rubber rear window molding, except really late (March 88 on) builds.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.