Skip to main content
Topic: '87/'88 Cougar front clip on '84? (Read 1497 times) previous topic - next topic

'87/'88 Cougar front clip on '84?

Hey guys,
Aside from the moldings not matching or lining up, is there any reason that a '87/'88 Cougar front clip (fenders, header panel, and bumper cover like the red car at the top of this page) wouldn't fit on an '84 Cougar?  Can '87/'88 moldings be put on an '84 if the sheetmetal is the same?  Are the front fenders the same from the '83/'86 cars to the '87/'88 ones?  I'm actually toying with the idea to put an aero front end on my '84.  Aside from physical fit, what other issues would there be?  How about the headlight wiring from the dual sealed-beam setup to the single halogens?  Would the actual bumper under the cover have to be swapped as well, and does it fit on an '84?  Has anybody ever seen this done?  Again, this is just me being different and attempting to have a unique car someday when I can afford it.  Sorry for all the question marks.  Thanks.

Fordman3

Re: '87/'88 Cougar front clip on '84?

Reply #1
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/reference/parts.html  <--- look under exterior.. second section down.

Personally, I don't know if I'd want to see it. I like the old "4-eyed" cars a little more. But hey, it's your car and your money. :D Some of you probably wouldn't want to see half the stuff I think about for my Birds. (and LSC) :p

More power to ya, and good luck if it works out.

Reply #2
There is a '83-'86 bird and a cat floating around each with '87-'88 fronts on them, so it's possible.  Both ironically were blue too :)
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #3
It  should work the only body lines that won't match perfect are the ones right next to the trim. The 83-86 were more blocky and the 87-88 were smoother but other than than i bet no one would say a word unless they had one before or just new the difference.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird