Skip to main content
Topic: Original cars, owners, dospoogeentation (Read 66214 times) previous topic - next topic

Original cars, owners, dospoogeentation

Anyone here interested in the 'concours' part of the hobby? I know it's not for everyone but it does help dospoogeent how the cars came from the factory.

I have an interest in the 83-84 Tbirds since the were the first Aero-birds built and so different from the previous body style.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #1
Good idea. I have been seeing some really nice original 83-88 T-Birds on flea-bay lately that I would love to have.

Be nice to have one all original to study how it was in "the day"
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #2
I'm working on mine for the VTCI convention next year. I'm in the modified category because of the engine mods. Everything else on my T-bird is stock though besides the engine. I have the build sheet for mine but I have no clue as to what most of it means :hick:

I'm the second owner of my 88 T-bird though. My dad's cousin owned it for 14 years before I got it. I have all the sales dospoogeentation (except the window sticker:mad:) and services reciepts from the last 21 years.

I'd like to figure out how the 83-88 T-birds were factory equipped, stamped, painted, ect but I'd need a few minty factory stock ones to study ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3

I'd like to figure out how the 83-88 T-birds were factory equipped, stamped, painted,

I agree with you both. Going forward, the task of dospoogeenting 83-88's would probably be monumental so it would make sense to break it down. 83-84, 85-86, and 87-88 might make sense since the cars in the those years are pretty much similar.

The fact that cars are built at different plants, and those plants operated differently only complicates things. It appears the Lorain OH cars had a buck tag on the radiator support but the Atlanta cars didn't. Perhaps they used build sheets? Could you post a picture of your build sheet?

I know of 3 original 83's and one 84 so I think I can provide some info for 83-84.

If there is enough interest would it make sense to have new topics here on the forum to cover the subject?
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #4
count me in IF your doing COUGARS

Reply #5
Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;287470
Good idea. I have been seeing some really nice original 83-88 T-Birds on flea-bay lately that I would love to have.

You won't get much more in "the day" than this!  Enjoy. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK9a7hYHNoA

and something a bit faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD1CgIqDw44
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #6
Quote from: rodsterh;287534
I agree with you both. Going forward, the task of dospoogeenting 83-88's would probably be monumental so it would make sense to break it down. 83-84, 85-86, and 87-88 might make sense since the cars in the those years are pretty much similar.

The fact that cars are built at different plants, and those plants operated differently only complicates things. It appears the Lorain OH cars had a buck tag on the radiator support but the Atlanta cars didn't. Perhaps they used build sheets? Could you post a picture of your build sheet?

I know of 3 original 83's and one 84 so I think I can provide some info for 83-84.

If there is enough interest would it make sense to have new topics here on the forum to cover the subject?

I can scan mine if you want. It is missing some parts but is 90-95% intact. I pulled it out from under my front passenger seat when I had the front seats recovered 2 years ago.

Also my buck tag is long gone. At some point a service tech or mechanic broke it off and just the bolt and a nub remained.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Sure, that would be great. Make sure to include the year and where the car was made. Do you have a build date?
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #8
Quote from: blknredcougar;287538
count me in IF your doing COUGARS

Anyone know if Cougars and TBirds were built on the same line?
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #9
Quote from: rodsterh;287548
Anyone know if Cougars and TBirds were built on the same line?

Yes they were built side by side on the same lines.

Reply #10
Quote from: rodsterh;287547
Sure, that would be great. Make sure to include the year and where the car was made. Do you have a build date?

Yep. It's an 88 LX built in Sep. 87.

Reply #11
Almost all of the 1983-88 Cougars and T-Birds were built in Lorain, OH (H in the VIN). For at least part of 1985 Ford also concurrently built the Thunderbird/Cougar lines in Atlanta, GA (A in the VIN). After 1985, production shifted exclusively to Lorain to allow Atlanta to build the Taurus/Sable in 1986.

The Atlanta VINs are not the same as the Lorain VINs. In other words, you could have H101234 and A101234, just as an example, at the end of two cars' VIN numbers. It gets weird but that's how Ford assigned VINs. Just FYI.

I have original 1984 and 1986 dospoogeentation for my current cars (Ford 999 report, built sheets, buck tags) if it will help. Probably the biggest area for collaboration will be for the original radios. Each radio type has a code on the built sheet, and that's the only place where you'll find that info. If you know what original radio was in your car then we can figure out a database for those. There will be some other areas (fabrics, outside trim, etc.) where we just have to put our heads together and deduce things. AFAIK nobody has really tried to decode the build sheets objectively for our cars. I'll help all I can.

Reply #12
I don't have any dospoogeentation on hand but know a little about these cars, I bought an 86 Bird brand new with 7 miles on it but sold it in 2000 with 177450 miles. It's replacement is in the driveway now, lol.

John
John

Reply #13
I got mine and I'm afraid to remove it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
I wish to help, have a very original 1987 5.0 sport coupe. Bought from the original family. Where can I look for the build sheet? Under the rear seat or the front passengar seat? The car is 90 - 95% original.

Just let me know