Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3 cam options (Read 2292 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3 cam options

My cam plate came loose and the cam walked grooving the cam and followers

What are the most popular swaps other than a ranger cam ?

2.3 cam options

Reply #1
I have a Ford Motorsports A237 in mine.  I don't think they can be had new anymore but they can be found pretty easily used and are rollers so unlikely to be worn out unless something catastrophic happened in the head.

A few other popular options are Esslinger and Engle cams.  Do yourself a favor and avoid Boport unless you can afford to lose your money or potentially wait years to get your product.

This is what the A237 sounds like in my car.
http://youtu.be/Ig3c5Ac6zhI
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

2.3 cam options

Reply #2
Thanks

Will the cam clear the top of the core support when pulling it out ?

It looks close

Anyone know what kind if lift the stock springs will take ?

2.3 cam options

Reply #3
Call Schneider cams Jerry is the best with the 2.3. remember you have to use a roller but the roller followers are OBSOLETE. Essie has them but do not use his cams. Also make sure you do not use a reduced base circle cam or you will have to shim the HLA'S. Call jerry he is the best and very affordable. The ranger and 237 is not a cam i would use. just me

You may have to jack up the engine to clear the cam. Not a big deal
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

2.3 cam options

Reply #4
Thanks Tom

2.3 cam options

Reply #5
My cam cleared the core support without having to jack the engine up but I have heard of others that didn't.  The cam just barely hit the top of my radiator but it was easy enough to pull the fans off, undo the upper radiator hose, and unbolt the radiator to lean it toward the engine. 

I made a valve spring compressor that worked ok but I recommend buying one to make the job easier. 

Not sure about the stock valve springs but I would swap them out if going with a cam that has more lift than stock.  I didn't swap mine out and now I'm having to go back and do it to see if it will resolve my upper rpm issues.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

2.3 cam options

Reply #6
Yea I was wondering how hard it would be to get a spring compressor in there

2.3 cam options

Reply #7
Some were super easy to get to but some had stuff in the way.  Here is the spring compressor I made...

I just ordered one of these though... should make stuff a lot easier...

2.3 cam options

Reply #8
Yea I need to pick up a new one

2.3 cam options

Reply #9
Better change the springs, We run double springs but the head has to come off and the spring pockets machined. Buy the tool you will not regret it
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

2.3 cam options

Reply #10
Sounds like a plan

2.3 cam options

Reply #11
Quote from: TOM Renzo;442535
Essie has them but do not use his cams.

Why not the Essie cams? I'm thinking about the 2277 for my 2.3T.
1986 TC 100% stock
1983 TC modded (sold) :(
"nitrous is for guys who can't build motors"

2.3 cam options

Reply #12
One way to clear the rad and rad support is to lower the trans. I removed the passenger side crossmember bolt and with a jack under the trans, slowly lowered it until the front of the engine was pointing up. Didn't need to lower it much at all. Then slid the cam out over the rad support.
1986 TC 100% stock
1983 TC modded (sold) :(
"nitrous is for guys who can't build motors"

2.3 cam options

Reply #13
Tom, why you don't recommend Ranger roller cam for 2.3T application? I'm looking for a replacement of my stock cam and I would like not to use another stock cam, as it will get damaged again quite soon. Unfortunatelly I'm quite tight on my budget and I can't afford $500 cam now. I'm not looking for any brutal cam at all.