Skip to main content
Topic: How to add a cooling fan? (Read 3020 times) previous topic - next topic

How to add a cooling fan?

Ok so its technically not computer stuff but its still electronics and it it involves my computer in a way so it counts lol.

What I've got is, the surround sound reciever that I use for my PC runs really freakin hot and I'd like to install a small cooling fan like the kind you'll find in your pc tower to help it out. Now first of all I know somebody's gonna be like "is it well ventilated and not under a bunch of stuff?" yes, its wide open and still runs hot. I had a PA amp once that had a cooling fan built into it so I'd like to be able to do it to this.

Is it something I can just buy online and then connect two wires to my main power supply and be done with it, or does it get more complicated than that?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #1
Is it wireless? I can't firgure out any other way to have a receiver...

Figure out what voltage the "receiver" runs at. Buy a fan. It will be 5v's or 12v's. The larger fans your familiar with are generally 12v's.

If its internal, it would be just like any other fan. Wireless will just add noise. Never really understood the draw to it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I'm not sure what you're saying. When I say receiver I'm referring to my surround sound home theater receiver/amp/head unit that I use for my PC. It's far from wireless. As for the fan I'm talking about adding an internal fan inside the case to assist the heatsink cause I just don't like how warm the thing gets.

If the fans run on 12v, then how would I go about wiring them up? The receiver is 120v from the wall and I have no idea what the internal voltage is regulated at.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #3
Quote from: sarjxxx;388561
If the fans run on 12v, then how would I go about wiring them up? The receiver is 120v from the wall and I have no idea what the internal voltage is regulated at.

Open it up and look.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
But look at what? I don't think you understand I literally have no idea how to tell what it's running at or how to adjust it for the fan voltage...:confused:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #5
Opem it up, get a volt meter and test voltages. Or read the curuit board. It will have diagrams and tell you voltage for certain parts. Don't touch anything you don't know what it does. Especially when its on.

Honestly, where it plugs into the wall and has plenty of room to breath, it much be operating properly. I would leave it as is myself. But if I had to do it, i'd get a 12 or 5v fan, screw it into the heatsink, hook it up with the power wires for the internal voltage regulator. This might be dangerous, and it your not good at soldering, you could fry the hardware. Which is why I would leave it as is.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com