Skip to main content
Topic: already had my share of the 4.0 (Read 1000 times) previous topic - next topic

already had my share of the 4.0

no real point to this thread, other than general  n' moanin' about the subject matter. Timing chain, '97 Exploder.

Half the miles and wear of my '97 Mountaineer (that one's a 5.0) and it's already laid down on us. We got it in December..

I'm already looking for a donor exploder/mounty to do a 5.0 transplant. As long as it has a good engine (meaning less miles than my Mounty) I'll buy the engine (or whole vehicle) and swap. If I have to nab shiznit from the Mounty, I will. It's getting rough, one of the doors doesn't stick...rust holes bigger than an elephant's ass in the quarters, etc. That 300K mile engine and trans still run pretty shaging good though. All I truly need is an exhaust....y pipe, cats, etc. Mine's rusted, broken all to hell and back....

Just a ramble...one car guy to others..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #1
I've done timing chains in those - no fun at all, especially the right side chain - it's on the back of the engine and requires engine removal to change!
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
that's the one that's broke lol.

Have compression on the driver side bank, none on the passenger side cyls. Unshaginreal LOL.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6