Skip to main content
Topic: Brake Booster Replacement '85 TB (Read 1073 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake Booster Replacement '85 TB

Ok, I am replacing the brake booster on an '85 TBird V8 and the last top bolt is being a pest. I have  remove the plastic panel under the dash to get access but it is extremely difficult to access through the supports placed up there with a ratchet or getting open end wrench ratchet in there. I haven't pulled the brake pedal off since that also looks to be a little bitch too. The last bolt is loose , but just not enough to grab with fingers, let alone getting a hand in there to even touch it. Any suggestions or mechanic pages available on brake booster removal?
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #1
Put one of the bottom bolts back in to he
Old the whole thing against the firewall.

Get a set of harbor freight wobbly extensions. They make all the difference in the world.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
You mean universals for a socket ratchet wrench. I think I might  do that, but I will need to get them for a 1/4in socket ratchet since I can barely get a finger to the bolt.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #3
No, wobble extensions allow for some articulation. Not the same as universals. And pretty sure when i did my booster, i only removed the lower bash pieces and stop light switch.
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.