Skip to main content
Topic: "New" engine, many questions. (Read 10832 times) previous topic - next topic

"New" engine, many questions.

Reply #30
I do plan to pull the 255 crank and sell it. It does have shorty headers and did not come with a carb. It has the stock mustang 4 barrel intake. All of the smog and egr equipment has been crimped off. I am replacing the valve cover gaskets since they were dried out and stuck when I pulled the left cover off. When I do that, I will verify the correct firing order.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #31
Quote from: hypostang;348910
Sorry < I should have been more specific  all 5.0 HO *roller* cam engines were 13726548    82-84 HO  used 15426378

Negative.  the new HO firing order 13726548  came into effect in 1982.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #32
Quote from: V8Demon;350847
Negative.  the new HO firing order 13726548  came into effect in 1982.....

Yup I typed without thinking, I'm grateful for your proofreading
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #33
Hey, I make mistakes too  ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #34
Tonight I checked the valve sequence and installed the fuel pump (it does have the eccentric). The firing order is the standard for sure. It is slightly disappointing, but not unexpected. What kind of power can I expect from it? Surely the 4 barrel carb and headers help it breathe a little better.

Reply #35
Just because it has the standard firing order doesn't mean a whole lot. You said it had been rebuilt, maybe it has a after market cam. You will not know unless you check valve lift or until you start it. I wouldn't expect it to be a big cam cause it had the stock intake and carb. On a carbed 302, depending on the cam and heads you could expect anywhere from 150 to around 200 hp. If you put a mild cam in it and a better intake & carb, good exhaust, and ignition, you might get 250 - 275ish hp.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #36
Tonight I was replacing the motor mounts since the old ones were cracked and rotted.  After removing them, I attempted to reinstall the new ones.  The studs that keep the mount from rotating (not the bolt) do not line up with the holes in the k member.  Has anyone else run across this problem?  Will I need to drill new holes to accommodate the different mount style?  The other side is completely different as well.

Reply #37
It is now installed and fires right up.  The first time even!  I half expected a long annoying troubleshooting process. All I need to do now is figure how to get the TV rod attached to the carb linkage- I am still trying to figure that one out. It also needs an exhaust system. Definitely too loud with straight headers lol.

Reply #38
I think I have worked out a solution for the tv rod. In my garage I found an old cfi throttle body from a car w/ an AOD. I just need to know if I can swap over the levers onto the throttle shaft of the 4180. I am just not sure how to remove and reattach the linkage. Ideas? Will that be a feasable solution?

Reply #39
I found out my block has the same casting number.  But I have the py cast manifolds and cfi...and a  load of oil leaks.  The fuel pump eccentric was never covered, the oil pan and valve cover bolts were at least 5 full turns loose and I think the intake manifold gasket is shot.  How are you doing on this car?

Reply #40
How are you coming on this project, I am interested to hear, as I will be having some of the same issues when I get that far.  Mainly that forsaken TV rod.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked