Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 Super Coupe Project (Read 4179 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 Super Coupe Project

Reply #15
I don't know if 19lbs will be enough either. We bought the motor partially done and they were included in the deal, so we're going to give them a shot. If we have to, we'll pick up some bigger injectors in the summer.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

1987 Super Coupe Project

Reply #16
Quote from: FLSTCI71;249601
Here's a quick list of some specs:[

Fox 5.0 Standard Bore & Stroke
Ford Motorsport E-303 Roller Cam
Keith Black HyperTechtic Pistons 9:1 Compression w/Molly Rings
V-3 Vortech 8 to 10psi
Ford 19LB Fuel Injectors

I see these parts together asking for trouble unless the tune is perfect. Even then, I think you're looking at 36lb injectors and 255lph fuel pump. Stock block? Standard e7 heads and HO intake? I'd say you're looking at around probably a little under 400hp at upper 5000's with that setup which I would hope for as the stock block can't take much more without spending thousands in balancing -at that point an aftermarket block is pocket change.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

1987 Super Coupe Project

Reply #17
Quote from: Seek;249713
I see these parts together asking for trouble unless the tune is perfect. Even then, I think you're looking at 36lb injectors and 255lph fuel pump. Stock block? Standard e7 heads and HO intake? I'd say you're looking at around probably a little under 400hp at upper 5000's with that setup which I would hope for as the stock block can't take much more without spending thousands in balancing -at that point an aftermarket block is pocket change.

When you were picking out the specs, you missed an important one:

Canton Main Girdle

I know of many stock block 5.0 cars around here with well over 400rwhp and no problems. You are correct, we wouldn't want to get much crazier and a girdle is no substitution for an aftermarket block, but it should be fine for occasional playing in the street.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

1987 Super Coupe Project

Reply #18
heres a link for some injectors, you could probably end up picking them up pretty cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RACING-42-FUEL-INJECTORS-M-9593-F302_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370138390022QQitemZ370138390022QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

1987 Super Coupe Project

Reply #19
Quote from: FLSTCI71;249723
When you were picking out the specs, you missed an important one:

Canton Main Girdle

I know of many stock block 5.0 cars around here with well over 400rwhp and no problems. You are correct, we wouldn't want to get much crazier and a girdle is no substitution for an aftermarket block, but it should be fine for occasional playing in the street.

It'll help keep the rotating assembly reusable but I wouldn't put much faith in it doing much besides that. Either way it'll be a fun car to drive. I'd do the same thing but with less cam and more fuel/stronger pistons - this in itself can bring it near similar limits of the block after tuning. Of course I would have used larger chambers to help keep the boost happy on the iron heads (which was my original plan with gt40's before having to start over from scratch - I was looking for 8.5:1 static).

I just hope you will put the time in to get the setup tuned after injectors if nothing else. Putting additional air into any factory-configured car is dangerous and expensive if done incorrectly. Keep in mind that forced induction needs much larger injectors for the same power level as naturally aspirated - my assumption (as I haven't looked into it deep enough on the tuning level) is that it needs quicker more open blasts rather than longer smaller blasts due to timing and mixture differences.
1988 Thunderbird Sport