Skip to main content
Topic: Swap or not to swap? (Read 1746 times) previous topic - next topic

Swap or not to swap?

I just got an 86 Cougar. 5.0 runs, dont know how great, havent driven it yet. Should I A)drive it and wait till it blows, then rebuild. B) drop in a 351 w/ a c4? 351 is carbed.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Swap or not to swap?

Reply #1
drive it for a bit to see what all it will need once you tear in to it, might turn out to be decent.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Swap or not to swap?

Reply #2
If you go with option "A", then you'd better beat the living shiznit out of it for fun...although option "B" would be nice because you might be able to end up selling your old motor and trans combo assuming it's still in nice shape.

Either way, have fun or help to defray the cost of the 351/C4 build up.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Swap or not to swap?

Reply #3
drive it and work the bugs out of the car...get it running good. when you can afford a decent swap and have everything you need to do it right...go with a decent swap....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Swap or not to swap?

Reply #4
I say drive it. I wouldn't really do any swaps until it hits the point where it would cost more to get it going than to swap the motor.
Get it running decent and enjoy it for a little while.